Best Backpacking Knives 2020 – Top Selections From A Digital Nomad
There are hundreds if not thousands of knives that exist for backpackers. Something that might have been so easy becomes hard and you end up wasting a lot of time trying to choose which backpacking knife you should choose.
The backpacking knives come in a wide range of sizes, shapes, different features to ensure they cater for each and every backpacker.
There are some things to consider when choosing the best backpacking knife. They include: multi-functionality, portability, and durability. They can be single blade knives or multi-tools with different functions for different purposes. They may be sheath knives that you can carry on your belt or attach to your backpack.
Or they can be neck knives you can wear around your neck, and these heavier can cut through harder items such as wood more easily. I have made the work of choosing a backpacking knife by reviewing the top ten. It is now for you to choose based on your needs and taste.
Table of Contents
- 10 Best Backpacking Knife - Comparisons
- 10 Best Backpacking Knives In 2020 - Reviews
- 1. Benchmade Mini-Barrage 585
- 2. Benchmade - North Fork 15031
- 3. Benchmade - Griptilian 551
- 4. Kershaw Leek Pocket Knife (1660)
- 5. Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife
- 6. SOG Tactical Pocket Knife - Trident Elite Folding Knife and Survival Knife
- 7. Spyderco C122GBBKPS Tenacious Folding Knife 3.38"
- 8. CRKT Squid Folding Pocket Knife
- 9. Buck Knives 110 Folding Hunter Knife
- 10. Old Timer 180T Mighty Mite
- Final Verdict
10 Best Backpacking Knife - Comparisons
154CM Stainless Steel
Steel: Sandvik 14C28N
420HC Stainless Steel
7Cr17 Carbon Steel
10 Best Backpacking Knives In 2020 - Reviews
It is a small knife backpacking knife which makes it easier to carry around. Its small size does not affect its performance. On the contrary it is as effective as any big or medium size knife.
The makers of this knife have a reputation of making good quality knives and this is no exception so you can count on it to deliver. You can also have your knife customized to suit your taste and features.
The blade is well-polished and the handle can fit into any type of folded fist. The easy folding and opening of the knife ensure that you keep yourself from harm anytime you are not using the knife
- You can customize the knife to suit your taste.
- It has assisted opening functionality.
- It is very portable.
- Comes in a variety of designs.
- It is relatively expensive.
- It is a flashy knife.
It is no surprise that the second backpacking knife is also Benchmade. Its blades are placed at the right angles which ensures the blade cuts smoothly at the same time ensuring the blade stays sharp.
It has a spring that make the folding and opening of the knife an easy task. It is made from high- quality light materials.
- Small size makes the knife highly portable.
- It has a beautiful design with the handle being wooden.
- Made of high-quality materials.
- Made of light materials therefore easy to carry around.
- Very expensive.
- No spring-assisted opening functioning.
It is a relatively larger knife than the previous two. Its blade makes for smooth cutting on surfaces. It has a clip that makes it easy to deploy in the shortest time from your pocket. Despite its large size, it is easy to carry around.
The Griptilian lineup from Benchmade is known for the versatility of the knives, and this makes for a very handy tool for backpacking adventures.
- Smooth blade makes cutting easy.
- Clip which makes deployment fast.
- Large size.
- No assisted opening functionality.
The blade has strong blades which makes them hard to wear off. Cutting therefore is smooth and the knife maintains its sharpness. This is a suitable backpacking knife, as it’s thin and relatively small making it suitable for carrying around.
It has a spring for opening assistance and the blade tips are completely locked making it safe to carry.
- Highly portable.
- Beautiful design.
- SpeedSafe opening assistance.
- The fact that it is thin makes it hard to cut rough surfaces.
- Fragile and can bend in too much pressure.
It is small, has multiple functionalities and portable backpacking knife which can be carried anywhere. The steel blade means it stays sharp and makes cutting smooth.
It is a colorful knife with hinges that ensures opening and closing with minimum ease.
- Beautiful design.
- The blade aspect can only be used for simple cutting.
The knife is a small, robust and relatively cheap backpacking knife. The edge is made of steel which makes it easy to cut as well as maintain sharpness.
It comes with lock mechanisms which make it easy to open and lock. On closing, the edge are closed off completely which adds to the safety of the knife. It has a plastic handle which protects the hand of the user. It also has a pocket clip for easy carrying.
- It has a glass breaker and a slot cutter.
- It may have pocket clip for easy carrying, but this has cutouts that may damage your pants.
This is one of the backpacking knives with a simplistic design. It is a full size knife, thin and very sharp. It is made out of high quality materials which makes it durable.
- Clipping technology allows you to carry it in 4 different ways
- No opening assistance
It has multiple functionalities and simplistic thus it is a suitable backpacking knife for everyday use. It is a full-sized knife. It is made from quality material making it easy durable and giving value for money.
It has a steel blade and is human crafted which makes for a good cutting blade. It is made through a unique heating process treatment. It comes with clipping technology assisting the user when carrying it.
- Clipping technology makes it easy to carry.
- Durable due to steel and heating process in manufacturing.
- Small when locked.
- It has a short blade at just 2.14 inches.
It is one of the most common knives whenever you think about backpacking knives. It is one of the knives that has maintained its initial design and thus very recognizable from other knives.
The handle is partly wooden making it suitable to grab. The blades is also made from an alloy of steel making it light and easy to sharpen. It opens with minimal ease. It comes in its own leather pouch which fits into your belt making it suitable to carry.
- Free leather pouch
- Classic design
- Doesn't have a pocket clip
- Heavy at 7.2 ounces
This backpacking knife has a sleek design, is tiny and looks traditional. It is suitable for simple cutting tasks. It is the smallest knife there is but this does not mean it delivers any less compared to other knives.
It is easily foldable and safe to carry in your pocket. It is made of hard steel which makes it hard if not impossible to bend. It comes standard with a keychain clip to ensure it does not get lost.
- Smallest knife therefore portable
- Keychain clip which ensures it does not get lost
- The hard steel can really keep its sharp edge
- It may be too small to fit into a grownup hands
- Hard steel makes it almost impossible to sharpen
- Small size means getting lost is easy
Price is an important for every user to consider when choosing a backpacking knife. Higher prices do not always mean higher quality and therefore first test every knife before making the decision to buy.
In a nutshell, there are various backpacking knives in the market and no matter your needs or taste, you are sure to find whatever you are looking for.