Best Dog Life Jacket – Make Your Pup Safe In Water!
Going out on the water is always a fun, but what if you have pets? You want to bring your dog with you, but how can you be sure that your furry friend will stay safe among the waves? Well, to ensure proper safety procedures are followed for your pup, you can get him a handy life jacket!
Today I’m going to show you some of the best dog life jackets on the market, as well as go over the most important aspects that you should consider when picking one out.
Table of Contents
- 4 Best Life Jacket For Dog – Comparisons
- Best Dog Life Jackets – Reviews
- How to Choose a Life Jacket for Dogs
- Final Verdict
4 Best Life Jacket For Dog – Comparisons
|Image||Product Name||Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price|
|Ruffwear – K-9 Float Coat|
|20 x 15 x 2|
|EzyDog Doggy Flotation Device|
|21 x 18 x 2|
|Kurgo Surf N Turf|
|28 x 12 x 2|
|Rep Fitness Kettlebells|
|5.8 x 7.6 x 1.2|
Best Dog Life Jackets – Reviews
1. Ruffwear – K-9 Float Coat for Dogs
First up we have a remarkable life jacket that is designed to help your dog stay afloat while swimming. It’s built in such a way that he will be able to swim unencumbered, but his torso and rear will stay up so that he doesn’t have to work as hard.
What I like about this jacket is that it is lightweight and doesn’t get in the way of your dog’s natural movements. The material is also durable but non-abrasive so that he can wear it all day without getting uncomfortable.
This jacket also has a loop on the front where it would sit on his neck, allowing you to pull him out of the water with ease. Also, it comes with reflectors on the sides so that you can see him better, day or night.
- Durable, abrasion-resistant materials
- Easy to get on and off
- Thick cell foam pads for better flotation
- Rear loop for easy extraction
- Reflective trim for better visibility
- Positioning allows dog to swim
- Six size options available
- Four colors: red, blue, yellow, and orange
- Buoyancy is focused on the back, not the front
- Sizing can be difficult for some breeds
2. EzyDog Doggy Flotation Device Dog
According to EzyDog, this life jacket has almost 50% more buoyancy than most other models on the market today. While I can’t prove that definitively, I have to say that I do like this jacket. It has a contoured design that fits most breeds very well, although it’s almost impossible to fit every kind of dog perfectly.
Overall, this jacket has all of the standard features that you would want for your pooch. It has a reflective surface so that you can see him at night or while he’s in the water, it allows him to swim without being a hindrance, and it has a handle on the back so you can pull him out quickly.
One cool thing that I like about this jacket is that it also comes with a pocket on the back. This way, you can keep things like his leash or some snacks on hand to make things more convenient. It comes in five sizes, which fits most breeds, but as with any life jacket, it can be hard to find the right one.
- Durable and ergonomic construction
- Three color options
- Adjustable neoprene straps for comfort
- Extra flotation for safety
- Grab handle on the back for quick extraction
- Reflective material for better visibility
- Five size options
- Soft padding around the neck
- Zip storage pocket
- In rare cases, the straps may start to come off
- Foam may feel a bit flimsy
3. Kurgo Surf N Turf Dog Life Jacket
This next jacket is a bit better than the other ones we’ve seen so far because it can be used as more than just a flotation device. The Surf N Turf gets its name from the fact that you can also use it as a regular raincoat as well. All you have to do is remove the flotation liner, and you’re ready to hit the streets.
While I would prefer this jacket to have reflectors, it comes with some other cool features that I appreciate. First, there are two rugged handles so that it’s easier to pull your dog out of the water if necessary. Second, there is a D-ring handle so that you can attach a lease to the back. Third, it is not only waterproof but machine washable. Finally, this jacket comes with a limited warranty, which is incredible for this kind of product.
- Durable waterproof material
- Removable flotation liner
- Works as a raincoat as well
- Five size options
- Two handles for easier extraction
- Thick padded collar
- Durable D-ring connections for the straps
- High-contrast color for better visibility
- Machine washable
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Sizing can be difficult
- In rare cases, the buckles may start to come undone
Also Read: Best Waterproof Backpacks – Pack It In Dry!
4. Rep Fitness Kettlebells for CrossFit
Outward Hound Outward Hound Dawson Swim Novice Swimmer Life Jacket When compared to the other life jackets on this list, I have to say that this model from Outward Hound is one of my favorite. While I appreciate the versatility of the Surf N Turf, this unit is almost perfect as a doggie life jacket.
First of all, this is one of the few models that has flotation in the front so that your dog’s head can stay up easier. Second, it has thicker foam on the sides to improve buoyancy. Third, it comes with a neoprene liner to help insulate your pooch from cold water, and finally, it has a mesh bottom so that water drains out quickly.
Other standard features of this vest include adjustable straps, two back loops so you can pull him out easier, and quick release buckles so that he can get in and out fast.
- Durable construction
- Front float helps keep head above water
- Thick foam on the sides for improved flotation
- Adjustable neck strap
- Two back loops for easy extraction
- Neoprene material insulates against cold water
- Reflectors included for better visibility
- Quick release buckles for convenience
- Mesh belly for quick water drainage
- Five size options available
- Sizing can be difficult
- In rare cases, the buckles may not close properly
How to Choose a Life Jacket for Dogs
The biggest issue that people have with these life jackets is that they can be hard to find the right size. As such, you will want to measure your dog as much as possible so that you can determine the correct dimensions ahead of time, rather than having to reorder the same thing over again. First, weigh your dog, and then measure his neck, chest, and body length. Most dog life jackets are adjustable around the waist, but the neck is where it will matter most. It has to be snug enough to stay on but not so tight that it’s uncomfortable. Typically speaking, most jackets are sized by weight, but that doesn’t consider breed, so you may have to pick a size up or down based on the overall dimensions of your dog.
When your pooch hits the water, his natural instinct will be to swim, so it’s imperative that the jacket doesn’t impede or restrict his movement. Finding the right size will help with this significantly, but you also have to consider how much flotation it has and where it’s positioned. One of the more critical areas is the neck and chest, as this is what needs to stay above water the most, particularly if your dog can’t swim well. Not all life jackets have this, so you may want to get one that does so you can be extra safe. Also, if the jacket is too buoyant, it could throw off his balance, and it might raise his hind legs too much, which could make him agitated. If that is the case, then you will want a jacket that has less foam in the back.
Even if you don’t plan on going out at night, these can be critical in an emergency. It’s always best to have a jacket that comes with reflective material so that it’s much easier to find your pooch, particularly if you are on a boat. Also, if he does happen to get lost or something, then they will help other people find him and bring him back to you.
Finally, a must-have for any dog life jacket is a sturdy handle on the back so that you can lift him out of the water. If you are on a boat, this is essential as you won’t be able to bring him up otherwise. The handle should be sewn into the fabric, and it should be placed just behind the neck so that you don’t risk injury when yanking him out of the water. Another thing to consider is if the jacket has a loop for a leash. This can be helpful if you are walking your dog along the shore as it will allow you to guide him away from the waves. Also, in a worst-case scenario, having a leash will make it much easier to pull him up.
Out of all the best dog life Jacket on this list, I have to say that I like the Ruffwear – K-9 Float Coat the best. When it comes to water safety, this model has it all and more. However, if you are not planning on bringing your dog on a boat, then the versatility of the Surf N Turf is much more preferable.
- 5 Best Life Jackets for Toddlers & Infants
- Best Life Jackets For Kayak Fishing, Boating & Water Activities!
- 8 Best Duck and Waterfowl Hunting Waders Check Out
- Best Scuba Gears – Complete List with In-depth Reviews
- Best Snorkel Gear & Beyond—The Ultimate Guide