Best Garmin GPS in 2017 – Handheld Navigation Devices Compared
Technology has revolutionized almost everything in all sectors. Today you have no worries of getting lost or losing your track with the modern GPS systems developed by different companies.
Using global positioning system has made life easier, and you can have it in your car, as a portable navigation device or on your smartphone. GPS systems are applied in different ways such as finding location, timing, navigation, mapping, and tracking.
There are so many brands out there that produce these devices, but Garmin has been leading in sales for many years. Garmin makes top-class GPS systems with routing accuracy, affordable prices, and other incredible features.
I have researched the market for the best Garmin GPS system that you can buy to suit your needs. It doesn't matter if you are looking for a GPS for your car, bike, map forests, navigate airplanes, harvesting your field for farmers or military application, the following Garmin GPS will be worth considering.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Chart of Best Garmin GPS in 2017
- 10 Best Garmin GPS Reviews in 2017
- 1. Garmin nüvi 2789LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS
- 2. Garmin Nuvi 50LM Navigator
- 3. Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS
- 4. Garmin Nuvi 2689LMT North America
- 5. Garmin Nuvi 2589LMT North America
- 6. Garmin GPSMAP 64st, TOPO U.S. 100K with High-Sensitivity GPS
- 7. Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator
- 8. Garmin Edge 1000 Bundle
- 9. Garmin Edge Explore 1000 Cycling Computer
- 10. Garmin nüvi 2757LM 7-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS
- How To Choose The Best GPS
- Final Words
Comparison Chart of Best Garmin GPS in 2017
10 Best Garmin GPS Reviews in 2017
1. Garmin nüvi 2789LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS
Garmin provides you with some of the best GPS systems on the market with high-end features. If you want to spend extra money purchasing a top quality GPS system, try the Garmin nüvi 2789LMT 7-Inch, and you will love using the device.
It comes with a large glass screen measuring 7 inches with a pitch to zoom display and dual orientation.
When you are using this device, you will always see your driving maps on the screen. Additionally, you will find traffic alerts that appear on the side.
You can easily find places with the Up Ahead feature. This includes gas stations, hotels, food and much more without leaving the map. This device also provides you with voice-activated navigation so you can operate the device while your hands remain on the wheel.
The GPS system is also smartphone link compatible. You can download the smartphone link app on your device (iPhone or Android) to get real-time services like the weather.
- The large 7-inch glass display is easy to read
- The device is Bluetooth compatible
- It has active lane guidance
- Provides you with direct access to complex places like airports and malls
- Easy to find places with the Up Ahead feature
- Uses spoken Garmin real directions
- It has preloaded maps of North America
- It is expensive
With today's technology, getting lost on the road is a matter of choice. There are so many GPS devices that you can buy to ensure that you are safe wherever you are.
Another great GPS system from Garmin that you can buy for tracking your way is the Garmin Nuvi 50LM Navigator.
This is an incredible design with a large 5-inch screen display that gives you with the best view. It is made to make navigation easy. The GPS is also versatile, and you can use it in your car or if you need help with directions.
The GPS system features a quality build material with a windshield mount that secures the unit securely; hence you do not have to worry about it falling when in use.
Operating the device is pretty simple because it has a menu with two main icons for setting up a route and the other for returning to the map view. There are other smaller icons for volume control, settings, and help system. All these make it straightforward to operate the device.
- Has a huge 5-inch display
- Features preloaded maps with free lifetime updates
- Has lane assist with junction view
- It speaks the name of the streets
- Provides you with a great value
- Has speed camera locations
- Doesn't have Bluetooth and traffic option
3. Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS
When you visit places you have never been before, there are high chances of you getting lost. How will you trace your way back if you do not have the right GPS? You should always have such a device to navigate through.
Because there are thousands of devices out there, picking the right once can be troublesome. This is why you should get a perfect device like the Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS, and you can get to your destination without any worries.
This device features a five-inch display so you can see everything clearly on the map of the place that you need to go. This device also has so many addresses and points so if you need to stop; there are options for gas stations, parks or restaurants along the route.
For those who would love a hand-free operation, the Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS is the perfect pick. It features voice prompted turn-by-turn directions with spoken street names.
- Has a sturdy suction cup for easy mounting and quick release
- It is easy to use
- It has a touch screen interface with 5-inch diagonal color display
- It is compatible with Micro SD card
- The device has lane assist
- Comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery with two hours battery life
- Doesn't come with instructions
- Difficulty changing the settings
4. Garmin Nuvi 2689LMT North America
Looking for a GPS navigator with smart routing software and accurate maps? You need no other device other than the Garmin Nuvi 2689LMT North America.
The device allows you to navigate through North America because it has all North America maps.
You can use spoken commands when using this GPS while you are driving.
For those who love GPS systems with large screens, this one suits you best. It has 6-inch dual orientation touchscreen that provides you with an interface that is very easy to read.
It also features active lane guidance and junction views that provide you with more views to help you find the best lane. This GPS doesn't depend on cell phone coverage for it to guide you and this is one of a major advantage as compared to other phone dependant GPS systems.
You will enjoy the Up Ahead indicator of the device which when activated, the navigator displays a vertical bar on the map's right side. This provides you with distances of the closest food, ATMs, and gas among other places. It will help you pick a location especially if you are not in a position to choose one.
- Has lifetime map updates
- 6-inch glass display
- Gives you the chance to search for popular shops, restaurants, and others with Foursquare
- Offers voice activated navigation
- Utilizes Bluetooth technology for hands-free calling
- Has detailed maps of North America
- You can add a wireless backup camera
- Has bad glare in the daylight
5. Garmin Nuvi 2589LMT North America
In your series of the best Garmin GPS systems, we have our last product which is the Garmin Nuvi 2589LMT North America. It is another pocket-friendly device for people who are looking an advanced navigation.
The device has free lifetime maps and traffic updates that guide you in your journey. It is designed with a 5-inch pinch to zoom dual orientation display that you can read with ease.
It also has a smartphone link app that connects with Apple or Android smartphones to provide locations and addresses from phone to the GPS. You can also access Garmin live services like the weather. On top of that, it is Bluetooth compatible to give you a hands-free operation through the integrated microphone and speaker.
- Has a voice recognition software
- Bluetooth technology for hand-free calling
- Features free lifetime map updates and traffic avoidance
- Does not depend on cellular signal
- Has active lane guidance
- The screen resolution is low
6. Garmin GPSMAP 64st, TOPO U.S. 100K with High-Sensitivity GPS
People find it difficult to explore different terrains because they worry getting lost. With a GPS system, you can reach any place that you want. One of the best GPS from Garmin that you can carry with you is the Garmin GPSMAP 64st.
This is a nice device with great features and provides users with an easy operation. This device features a 2.6-inch sunlight readable color screen that provides you with simple reading without a struggle.
You can explore any terrain with this GPS. It has a worldwide base map with a full coverage of full US including Alaska, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii. The device is also designed with a 3-axis electronic compass featuring accelerometer tilt compensation that indicates the place you are headed and where you are standing.
The device has the capability of storing up to 5000 waypoints and 200 routes so you can store your favorite trips and recall them later. You can also share with other people with your PC. It features a wireless connectivity via Bluetooth and ANT so you can share your waypoints, routes, tracks and geocoaches wireless with other devices that are compatible.
- Features a sunlight readable 2.6-inch color display
- Has an expanded internal memory of 8GB
- Offers wireless data upload
- Provides live tracking
- Has 3-axis compass with barometric altimeter
- High-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS receiver with quad helix antenna
- Loses satellite signal
- Some customers say it is difficult to use
If you want to own a basic GPS device that anybody can operate with ease, then you should consider buying the Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator.
This is a nice device for beginners and kids, and it features incredible marking waypoints and viewing routes.
It has a compact size with the ability to store up to 1000 waypoints so you can have fun as you adventure.
The device comes with 2.2 inch 176x220 screen resolution monochrome display that allows you to read even when there is bright sunlight.
It has a high-sensitivity GPS receiver with HotFix and GLONNAS support for quick and fast positioning. You will also enjoy worldwide base map making that allows you to identify your location easily when you are traveling.
Another incredible thing about this device is its long battery life. The battery can run for up to 20 hours so you can enjoy your journey without any interruptions.
If you are looking for a nice device for hunting, hiking, cycling among other outdoor activities, then consider this model as a great purchase.
- The screen presents information in a clear and bright manner
- Durable and waterproof
- Has a battery with a long run time
- It has paperless geocoaching
- Can track both GPS and GLONASS at the same time
- It can store and displays locations, terrain, difficult and hints among others
- It is a basic device with no advanced features
- The maps that are included are not useful
8. Garmin Edge 1000 Bundle
If you are looking for a GPS that is packed with many new features, try the Garmin Edge 1000 Bundle. This is a GPS-enabled bike computer that helps you get the best navigation when you are cycling. You can get to almost every place without worrying about getting lost.
The GPS system has a color touch screen with a clear display for easy viewing. The display is designed to adjust automatically in a low light area like tunnels and other shady spots.
This device allows you to turn your cycling sessions into races by competing with the Garmin Connect Segment and you can see the real-time results on your Edge 1000. You will also get alerts for segment start and finish.
With your bike, you are not limited to places you can visit when you have this GPS device. You can navigate well in cycling roads and explore all types of routes and ride in places that you have always dreamed of.
This device allows you to get smart notifications, so it is easy to stay updated when you are riding. You can see texts, call notifications, and email from your iPhone 4s.
- Has a large screen display of 3 inches
- It provides you with smart notifications
- Has preloaded maps to help to navigate in the best cycling roads
- You can ride in competition with the Garmin Connect Segment
- Provides you with instant uploads to Garmin Connect mobile to analyze and share
- The device is very expensive
- Has a poor battery life
9. Garmin Edge Explore 1000 Cycling Computer
If you want to get the best navigation when you are riding both on and off-road, get yourself a nice touring bike computer. I would recommend you to get the Garmin Edge Explore 1000 Cycling Computer which is one of the top Garmin biking GPS systems.
This is a big device with a similar performance to the edge 1000. It features a 3-inch color touchscreen with buttons on the front and below the screen.
The device has preloaded cycling maps with different points of interest such as hospitals, night clubs, sport centers and hotels among many others.
If you are an adventurous rider who would love to explore different new routes, this device will help to you because it has a round-trip feature that will guide your ride. You just need to enter the distance that you want to cover, and the starting direction and the GPS will calculate up to three cycling routes.
- Has a memory capacity that can store up to 200 waypoints
- The unit has a rechargeable battery with up to 15 hours of run time
- It works with Garmin Connect to analyze, categorize and share your ride data
- Preloaded with Garmin cycle maps
- It has new features to keep you safe on the road
- Has a large color display screen
- Expensive and difficult to use
10. Garmin nüvi 2757LM 7-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS
Most people prefer purchasing a GPS system that provides them with the necessary features while still staying in the ideal price range.
Because it can be hard fishing out the best Garmin GPS, I have simplified your search by providing you with the Garmin nüvi 2757LM 7-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS that has been highly rated by the users for its great features and performance.
Users love the natural sounding voice that guides drivers with traffic lights, buildings and other landmarks hence making it easy to navigate.
It features an easy to use touchscreen interface that provides you with an easy operation. It also has a seven-inch color screen with incredible graphics so you can see clearly. This screen has a white backlight and a manual orientation display.
The unit has a detailed map of North America featuring free lifetime updates for the US, Mexico, Canada, Rico, Puerto, Virgin Islands, Bahamas and Cayman Islands. The up ahead displays gas stations, restaurants, hospitals and other locations on the map.
This GPS system also features PhotoReal and Bird's Eye junction views that show comprehensive images of exits and intersections.
- Leads drivers to their destinations accurately with ease
- It has a large screen that is easy to see
- The interface is user-friendly
- It has lane assist
- Has turn-by-turn direction feature
- It locks up and fails to refresh
How To Choose The Best GPS
GPS systems are available in a variety of sizes and shapes to meet the needs of different users. It is important to look for one with the specifications that you want depending on how you intend to use it. Take note of these things when you are looking for a GPS system.
Unit Size And Screen Size
GPS vary in sizes so you can opt to choose a smaller device or a large one. The size of the unit affects the size of the screen. This means that the screen size will increase if the device is bigger. This also increases the weight of the device. Before you purchase a GPS system, it is important to consider whether you want a low weight or a large screen device.
You should consider the resolution of the screen so that it will be easy for you to see the route map with ease.
You should also consider the right interface preference that you want. Most people love devices with touch screen because they are easy and fun to operate. During winter, you can consider a device with buttons because it will be easy to use even when you are wearing gloves.
The best GPS system should provide you with live traffic information so that you can avoid routes with traffic jam. Having all the traffic information will help you avoid accidents, speed traps, and road closures.
Ease Of Use
GPS systems are made to make navigation easier. Before you buy a GPS, it is important if you reach its ease of use scores so that you can know which devices provide users with a user-friendly interface.
Other Advanced Features
This can be found in more expensive GPS systems which have features like a barometer, preload maps, third-party maps and software wireless transmission and electronic compass. If you need such features in your device, then you can narrow down your options when you are buying.
This applies especially if you are looking for a GPS system for your car. Can it take commands and ask for directions vocally? This allows you to drive and operate the device hand free.
- Multiple satellite connection
- The price of the GPS system
- Updated maps
- Does it have a powered mount?
- Does it have 3D building view?
Garmin is one of the highly rated brands that provide customers with excellent GPS systems. You can purchase any of these top devices from the company, and you will have no excuse of getting lost. You will always trace your way back when you have any of these devices because they provide you with information on hospitals, gas stations, tourist attractions and other nearby points.
The above that I have reviewed are great in features, performance, prices, screen size and resolution and portability. Just pick the one with features that you love from the list of our best garmin GPS, and you can reach any destination.