Best Ice Fishing Reels – Unbiased Reviews & Comparison
This season is flying by, which means that winter is going to be here before you know it. That means that ice fishing season is going to be here in no time at all. The question is, do you have a great ice fishing reel that you are looking forward to using this season?
If you are in the market for a new ice fishing reel, we think that you will find this review extremely helpful. We have utilized our wealth of ice fishing knowledge and to bring you comprehensive reviews for the best ice fishing reels in 2020. Let’s take a look at some of the leading ice fishing reels and what they have to offer your ice fishing season.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Ice Fishing Reel Comparisons
- Best Ice Fishing Reels in 2020 - Reviews
- 1. Fiblink Baitcasting Fishing Reel 9+1 Ball Bearings Casting Reel Right/Left Handed Baitcaster
- 2. Eagle Claw In Line Ice Fishing Reel
- 3. Frabill 690701 Reel Straightline 371 Bro Clam Pack
- 4. Celsius Blizzard Spinning CEL-310P/CP Reel 4 ball Bearings/Anti-Reverse
- 5. 13 Fishing Cold Gear Inline Reel
- How to Choose the Right Ice Fishing Reel for You
- Final Verdict
5 Best Ice Fishing Reel Comparisons
Best Ice Fishing Reels in 2020 - Reviews
Let’s jump right in and take a look at the Fiblink Inline Ice Fishing Reel. The first thing that you will notice about this real is that it is currently on a clearance sale of ()% off. So if you like what you hear and think that this might be the right reel for you, you should grab one now while it is discounted.
This reel offers an incredibly smooth drag system and instant anti-reverse for smooth transitions and reeling.
It comes with a free spool release button, so the spool is really easy to eject from the reel. This handle is comfortable and totally ergonomic with a comfortable EVA foam soft grip that prevents slipping and sliding, so you don’t let go of your reel.
This reel has a 2:7:1 gear ratio and contains four +1 ball bearings for smooth weighted action, and a one way clutch. This model has a large line capacity and a CNC machined aluminum spool.
- Massive clearance discount, so if you think you might want it, you should get it now
- Smooth drag system- Instant anti-reverse function
- Spool release button
- Comfortable ergonomic handles that are covered in easy to grip, non-slip foam
- Favorable gear ratio and four +1 ball bearings
- One way clutch
- Instructions are not included with this reel, so you may have to look up how to use it online
- It does not include a palm fender
Now, let’s take a look at the Eagle Claw Inline Ice Fishing Reel to see what it has to offer. What you will notice about this reel is that it has a smooth teflon drag. You also have the option to adjust the spool tension of your reel, which is a nice added bonus feature.
This model also comes with a free spool release button, so it is easier to remove the spool from your reel.
It also has a line retrieve in/crank and a 1575 inch reduced line twist. Just in case you like buying local, all Eagle Claw Trokar Hooks are made in the United States.
- The line twist on this model is virtually non-existent, so that you don’t have to deal with the mess of entanglement when you are using your reel
- The free spool feature works very smoothly
- Get’s even the smallest of lures down your ice fishing hole really quickly
- Parts that are made locally in the United States
- Smooth teflon drag
- Tension adjustment knob that allows for your personal preference
- The start drag can be a little difficult to adjust
- No instructions are included with this fishing reel, so you will have to look up tutorials online
There are many features that we really enjoy about the Frabill Straight Line 371. The first thing that you will notice about this ice fishing reel is that it has a guarded spool reel so that you can use your palm to grip the outside of the reel.
It is built from composite, so it is lightweight, easy to hold, and is also extremely durable.
This model offers a 3:7:1 gear ratio with really smooth drag and an instant anti-reverse function. This reel offers a serious 22 inches of line retrieval for each revolution of the reel, so it pulls in really quickly. The Frabill also offers five +1 ball bearings for speedy casting and smooth retraction.
- Guarded spool reel that allows you to grip your palm to the outside of the reel
- Built from a durable, lightweight composite that is made to last
- Gear ratio that offers really smooth drag
- Instant anti-reverse
- 2 inches of line retrieval per revolution
- Five +1 ball bearings for fast casting and quick reeling
- Can adjust tension
- It isn’t uncommon for the release to get locked up and stop working
- The tension adjuster may or may not work- If a small piece of ice gets caught on the line, it can cause the reel to malfunction or get clogged up
The Celsius Blizzard CEL-310P/CP is the last reel model that we are going to take a look at today, and has a totally different appearance from some of the previous reels that we have reviewed.
The extended yoke on this model gives you all of the extra space that you need, so that you can comfortably use this model while wearing a pair of gloves.
The aluminum spool on this model makes it feel really sturdy. The aluminum spool is coated with an freeze-resistant lubrication for smooth action without getting stopped by the cold.
- Sturdy reel that is built for ease of use and is really durable
- The yoke on this reel allows for plenty of room, so that you can wear thick gloves without having any problems using your reel
- Aluminum spool is coated with freeze-resistant lubricant that keeps the reel moving smoothly without getting stopped up or frozen
- Four ball bearings for smooth action
- Anti-reverse function
- When reeling in, it is common for the line to get wrapped around the axis instead of the spool
- Fairly cheap model that doesn’t offer a lot of premium or added features
Now, for something a little different, let’s take a look at the Number 8 Tackle ice fishing reel. This is another reel that is made from composite construction. This reel has a soft-touch finish, so it not only looks striking, but is also really comfortable to hold on to.
This model features a Drag Star drag adjustment, so that you can easily change the amount of drag that you want on your reel.
We really like that this product has an integrated fender which allows you to grip or rest your palm on the reel. It also prevents your hand or fingers from bumping into the line while you are casting or reeling in. For speed and performance, this reel uses five stainless steel ball bearings. This model also features a dead stick spool clicker and instant anti-reverse.
- Light and durable carbon composite frame
- Looks great and feels comfortable to hold and use
- Drag Star drag adjustment
- Has a fender integrated on the model so that you can rest your palm or use it to grip your reel without interference
- Uses five stainless steel ball bearings for speed in retracting and casting
- Dead stick spool clicker
- The drag on this reel can be a little weak, in comparison to other models
- It tends to wind around the knob that is on the spool side, constantly
- The free spool button can stick occasionally
How to Choose the Right Ice Fishing Reel for You
Now that you have taken a look at some of the best ice fishing reels available in 2020, how are you supposed to choose the right one? Here are some criteria and questions that you should be checking off so that you can find the right ice fishing reel for your fishing needs.
What kind of materials that your fishing reel are made out of are extremely important. They are especially critical depending on what the low The Frabill Straight Line 371 Ice Fishing Reel are going to be while you are fishing. Make sure that you get durable, freeze-resistant equipment for fishing.
Bearings are going to determine how quickly your line is cast out and is pulled in and can variety in number and quality within your reel.
Do you want to or need to wear gloves while you are using your reel? If it’s cold enough and you need to wear heavy gloves while fishing, take that extra space into consideration.
So at the end of the day, which one of these reels did we consider the best? The Frabill Straight Line 371 Ice Fishing Reel came out at the top of our list. Because of the high quality materials including the guarded spool, ball bearings, adjustable tension, and other value propositions made this model stand out the most.
- 5 Best Ice Fishing Lures – Strongest and Reliable
- 8 Best Spinning Reels Under $100 – Guide From A Pro Angler
- 10 Best Saltwater Spinning Reels – Top Models Reviewed!
- Best Ice Fishing Fish Finders – Comparison Included
- Best Ice Fishing Boots – Tested Models That Actually Work
- Best Ice Fishing Rods – Excellent Selections by Expert!