Best Fish Finders in 2019 – Top Selections From A Boat Expert!
Kayaks have witnessed a dramatic surge in popularity over the last decade in the United States, making them a staple for every individual and family who feels at home on the water. But what happens when you are a fishing enthusiast?
An angler kayak may not be sufficient enough to assist you in hauling in the biggest fish. That is where best kayak fish finders come-in using the best fishing technology, they can help bring in the biggest catch of your life.
Table of Contents
- Best Fish Finders - Comparisons
- 9 Best Fish Finders On The Market
- 1. Lowrance Mark-4 Combo Base Fishfinder and Chartplotter
- 2. Deeper Start Smart Fish Finder
- 3. HawkEye Fishtrax 1C Fish Finder with HD Color Virtuview Display
- 4. NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder
- 5. Garmin echo 300c Dual-Beam Fishfinder
- 6. Lowrance 000-11172-001 Elite-5 HDI Combo
- 7. Garmin Echo 551dv Worldwide with Transducer
- 8. Humminbird 140c Fishin' Buddy
- 9. Signstek FF-003 Portable Fish Finder Outdoor Fishing Tool Sonar Sensor Boat Depth Locator With LCD Display
- Why Do You Need A Kayak Fish Finder?
- Things to Consider
- Final Verdict
Best Fish Finders - Comparisons
4.3 x 3.3 x 1.5
2.6 x 2.6 x 2.6
6 x 3 x 2
6 x 3 x 2
2.8 x 4.1 x 5.8
10 x 8 x 8
1.8 x 6 x 5.9
4.22"W x 5.76"H x 2.72"D
4.7 x 1.2 x 3.2
9 Best Fish Finders On The Market
Mark-4 HDI fish finder from Lowrance functions both as a plotter and a fish finder. This combo has a transom mount transducer, and combines a broadband sounder with Down Scan imaging technology to give you an amazing hybrid dual imaging (HDI) display.
The multi-window function allows you to choose from quick and simple multiple page layouts, such as a three-panel view with a chart or the aforementioned broadband sounder, and Down Scan imaging.
Apart from the one-thumb operation selection menu, the Mark-4 also boasts of an inbuilt GPS chart plotter, a detailed high-definition U.S map with over 3000 rivers, lakes and coastal contours, Advanced Signal Processing (ASP), TrackBack, and a 4.3 inch monochrome LCD screen.
What you now have is a fish finder that has the ability to view clearly beneath your boat, review sonar history (structure, fish targets and transitions), and accurately pinpoint fishing locations.
- Includes transom mount 83/200KHz transducer
- Led Grayscale Display
- Ultra-accurate Internal Gps Antenna
- 4-Inch greyscale LCD
- 300 Watt 83/200KHz fishfinder
- Bulit-in GPS/chartplotter w/ basemap
- Ultra-accurate Internal Gps Antenna
The Deeper Smart Portable Fish Finder works with Android and Apple iOS Smartphone’s and tablets using a wireless Bluetooth connection.
This smart and portable best kayak fish finder can navigate water that other fish finders cannot plot through, using a dual beam with a depth range of up to 130 feet.
The sonar technology used on the fish finder will relay information regarding the fish, water temperature, pond bed, and underwater obstacles to your smartphone or tablet, eliminating the need for multiple devices and hazardous cables.
Additionally, this versatile and lightweight fish finder works in both fresh and salt water, providing accurate and wide coverage throughout its operation.
The intelligent Deeper Smart comprises of a free applications with features such as a fish activity calendar, maps, a diary, the weather, sharing functions, integrated camera functions, import and export functions, and a sound alarm.
The result is a fishing companion that can reach all waters where your favorite fish hides, making your angling trip more exciting.
- Radio controlled bait boats, ice fishing
- Dual beam:290kHz(15Degree),90kHz(55Degree).
- Depth up to 130ft. battery up to 4 hours
- Works in conjunction with smart phones and tablets
- Smart, portable, wireless Connected via Bluetooth; Rechargeable battery
- Fish places other Fishfinders can't reach: shore, bridges, embankments, dock, in rivers, kayak, float tube
- Free application includes fish activity calendar, weather, diary, maps, sharing functions
It is very rare to find the best portable fish finder that actually matches your expectations. This fishtrax is very reliable, convenient and efficient.
For the first time users, the Hawkeye FT1PXC Fishtrax Fish Finder comes with a manual that is detailed and very understandable.
The Hawkeye works pretty well on still waters. It should do so on slightly turbulent waters too.
Ice fishing is actually fun with this fish finder as it provides new challenges during the exercise base it has an Ice-Mode Digital Flasher Portrayal.
The Hawkeye FT1PXC Fishtrax Fish Finder is a full-color HD fish finder with 100- level sensitivity adjustment. It also has an auto –zoom bottom tracking that enhances your target's view. This fish finder will go so well with traditional fishermen since it is more of a manual fish finder.
With this fish finder you can see different size of fish, if you turn off the fish icons, you can see the actual sonar echoes and determine the fish size from that data. It is battery powered, triple-A battery, four of them that last like a full day.
Its construction, display, and setting options are very impressive. It displays depth is 120ft maximum.
This is a fish finder I would recommend because of its many benefits, great reviews, and high ratings. Every user I have come across has great things to say about it, so am sure it will be something that will impress you.
- VirtuView HD Color Display.
- Dual-Frequency FishTrax Intelligent Sonar.
- Ice-Mode Digital Flasher Portrayal.
- Fish Depth Identifier.
- Portable or Boat Mountable.
- Water depth detection facility.
- It is portable, lightweight and boat mountable.
The HawkEye Fish Finder is an innovative marine tool which can comfortably fit into the palm of your hand.
But do not be fooled by its compact size, this fish finder is packed with exclusive simple to use and efficient to operate features aimed at making your angling experience more comfortable.
The HawkEye uses a sonar sensor with an ultra-wide 25 degree beam angle, which manages to provide precise depth readings, fish readings and bottom structure readings, up to 99.9 feet.
Additionally, the fish finder can operate at a range of temperatures, including zero degrees Fahrenheit, meaning that you can utilize the versatile HawkEye in extreme conditions.
When it comes to the features of the simple to use fish finder, you can benefit from a mountable, trollable, floatable and side-scanable sonar sensor, a WeedID, depth scale, integrated fish indentifier, 4 sensitivity setting, a 2-stage audible fish alarm, 35 feet of cable, a cable tie-strap, and a liquid-crystal icon display.
With reliable features and easy to operate functions, the portable and compact NorCross HawkEye F33P is definitely a fish finder to own.
- Uses an ultra wide 25 degree sonar beam angle
- Delivers accurate depth fish and bottom structure readings from 1.5 to 99.9 feet
- Exceptionally easy to use; simply turn the power on, toss the sonar sensor from the shoreline, bridge, or boat
- Operationable down to zero degrees Fahrenheit
- Includes a trollable, mountable, and floatable sonar sensor with 35 feet of cable and cable tie-strap
- Powered by four "AAA" batteries for 20 hours of continuous use
- Backlit display prevents eye strain
- LCD protector eliminates condensation in the display
Also Read: Best Fish Finders Under $300 – Buying Guide
The Garmin Echo goes one step further than the Signstek FF-003 Portable Fish Finder, by providing a 3.5-inch color display screen with dual-beam capabilities at an affordable price.
This fish finder works towards making kayak fishing simple, by exploiting its intuitive features that take the fishing burden off your shoulders.
The installation process of the fish finder is quick and easy, with a quick-release tilt and swivel mount and a transom mount transducer that can be installed by someone new to fishing.
The depth performance of the sonar technology is outstanding, with a maximum depth range of 1500 feet possible with this fish finder.
In addition, the Smooth Scaling technology found in this fish finder allows you to navigate sonar history even as the depth range is changing.
But perhaps the most prominent feature of this Echo 300c is its 3.5 inch 256 color display, with Garmin HD-ID target tracking technology that gives you a clear and unique view of the water.
And considering the fact that the fish finder has a 120 degree viewing angle, this Echo 300c is one of a kind.
- Color Display
- Display Resolution 240 x 320(QVGA)
- Includes: echo 301c Dual-beam transducer with transom mount and trolling motor mount
- Quick-release mount, Power cable, documentation
- Manual and carrying bag, car/boat Charger
- Structure details down to 1,750 feet
- Wide viewing-cone angles (60/120 degrees)
The Elite-5 HDI Combo from Lowrance is a chart plotter that comes with a basemap, which makes use of Navionics Gold cartography to provide you with accurate readings.
This fish finder also comprises of a transom mount transducer, and a high resolution cross dual imaging broadband sounder that comes with Down Scan imaging so that you can have the most precise bait fish, predator fish, and bottom structure details.
Using a tilt and swivel mounting bracket, this easy to use fish finder will capture data that will be displayed on a clear 5 inch color TFT LCD screen, with a 480 by 480 brilliant pixel resolution.
This wide angle display can be adjusted for contrast, brightness and resolution, making your viewing easy and enjoyable. The screen also has a side by side and overlayed viewing option, which is unlike anything you have ever experienced.
The keypad on the fish finder has a backlight, which is convenient to use in low light conditions.
This Lowrance Elite-5 also comes with a 16 channel GPS antenna, a waterproof micro SD memory card slot, and simple to use menus.
- Easy to use tilt/swivel bracket
- Includes transom mount transducer
- 5" 480x480 pixel color LCD
- Hybrid Dual Imaging Broadband sounder with DownScan Imaging
- Chartplotter with basemap
- Accepts optional Navionics Gold cartography
- Best in market brightness and screen visibility in full sunlight
- Waterproof micro SD memory card slot
The Garmin Echo 551dv fish finder has features that enhance your fishing experience and makes it easier for you since it takes away most of your frustrations.
The Garmin Echo 551dv Worldwide with Transducer provides scanned images simultaneously on a horizontally or vertically split screen.
These images are very clear hence you can see almost everything under your boat.
The Garmin Echo 551dv Worldwide with Transducer has a high-resolution screen, echo that measures 551dv and smooth scaling which enables smooth transitions from shallow to deep water and back again.
This fish finder has a narrow to wide angle view which will enable you to view beyond what is below your fishing boat from shallow waters to a maximum of 2300 feet. The installation is quite easy because of its low-profile trolling motor transducer mount.
From the great reviews and ratings, the Garmin Echo 551dv Worldwide with Transducer has and almost everything a user wants in a fish finder. I can say with no doubt that this fish finder is very efficient, convenient and reliable. This fish finder has a lot of benefits to it a reason why you should you own one.
- Echo 551dv, 4-pin all-in-one 77/200 kHz HD-ID / Downtransducer.
- Color Display.
- It has transom mount and trolling motor mount.
- Display Resolution 480 x 640(VGA).
- Tilt/swivel quick-release mount.
- It has a 4,000 W peak-to-peak Power.
- It features an all-in-one transducer that provides both down imaging and conventional broadband sonar.
- It includes a sonar history rewind.
You will be surprised how effective the Humminbird 410060-1 Fishin' Buddy MAX DI Fish finder works.
It is a portable fish finder which is very light, and it occupies very limited space hence for people with small boats and also for those that move from one lake to another, this finder makes it very convenient for them.
The fact that it is portable with an ergonomic clamp mount designed to be used nearly anywhere. With this fish finder, you can use it, onshore or offshore for those who don't have boats.
The Humminbird 410060-1 Fishin' Buddy MAX DI Fish finder comes with a portable clamp that makes the movement of the fish finder easy. The TFT screen is LCD with a measurement of 3 inches wide making it easier to operate and view.
It also comes with 256 colors for clearer viewing. There is also an extendable transducer tube which can be extended or retracted.
The tube can be extended to a maximum of 40 feet and be retracted to just 24 feet allowing easier storage. Hence, no rigging, wiring or transducer to mount it comes with its own. It is made of materials that are waterproof, hence no damage by water.
Setting up the Humminbird 410060-1 Fishin' Buddy MAX DI Fish finder is easy .if it is the first time you are using it, it comes with a manual which will direct you and within no time you will be finding you fish.
No professional expertise required. From my research, this fish finder has received great reviews, and its ratings are good which I totally agree with hence the reason I am recommending it.
- It has a portable clamp
- Down Imaging with Dual Beam Sonar with 2400 Watts PTP power output.
- Its depth Capability: 320 ft. DI & 600 ft.It has a screen Display of 3.5-INCH Color TFT
- Designed with an extendable transducer tube.
- Multi-directional mount.
- Delivers easy One-Touch control and AA battery power.
- Made of materials that are waterproof so that there is no damage by water.
The Signstek FF-003 is a marvel in the kayak fish finder market, boasting of a fish finder depth locator and a clear LCD display.
This amazing fish finder can be used by amateur fishers and professional anglers alike, as its functions and features are incredibly easy to operate.
The Signstek FF-003 uses a sonar sensor to locate the elusive fish swimming below you, with 100-level sensitivity settings and multiple levels of depth range that ensure that you receive the most accurate reading possible.
More specifically, the 2 feet to 240 feet depth range reading you will get from the portable fish finder is accurate to within 1/10th of a foot.
This fish finder which can be operated in temperatures from -20 degrees to 70 degrees is outfitted with a bottom contour as well as a water temperature indicator, which gives you a clear picture when you are fishing.
But the best part of the fish finder is its display, which is seldom found in fish finders. The solar frequency received by the fish finder will be displayed on an 2.8-inch TFT LCD screen with 512 colors, and a white LED front light.
- Depth reading from 2.0 to 240ft in 1/10th precision
- Bottom contour and water temperature indicator
- 100-level sensitivity setting and multi levels depth range
- 512 colors TFT V240*H160 sunlight readable with white LED frontlight
- Manual and carrying bag, car/boat Charger
- Auto zoom bottom tracking and quick manual zoom
- Audible fish and depth alarm, depth alarm 3-99ft
- "Stop Chart" at any time
- Multi-language menu
- Uses 4 AAA batteries
Why Do You Need A Kayak Fish Finder?
- It allows you to know the depth and structure of the bottom hence eliminating guess work
- It is easy to find the structure and flat areas
- It helps you locate the bait when you cannot find it on the surface
- It provides dual screen options of water column depths
Things to Consider
The use of kayak fish finders has become common in the fishing world and many fishermen benefit a lot from using these devices. The main problem that arises is getting the right fish finder that will work well. This is why we have come up with this guideline to help you figure out some of the important things that you need to look at when you are selecting the best kayak fish finder.
When you are out fishing, you need a great fish finder that will help you see the reading on the display. This cannot be achieved if your kayak fish finder has less power. The higher the wattage of a fish finder, the faster the unit is able to display the readings.
On the other hand, if the fish finder has a low wattage e.g. 100 watt will display slowly, and this unit is best suited for shallow water fishing.
The screen resolution is measured by pixels. It is important to go for a screen with a greater number of pixels because it will help you see more details. If you are looking forward to a clear display, it is important to consider the screen resolution as well as the size of the screen. Your screen resolution should not be less than 240(v) x 160(h) pixels. You can also go for a higher resolution screen with a maximum of 640 x 640 pixels.
Transducers are important element of the best fish finder that emits and sends sonar waves and sends the sonar signals to the water. In most cases, majority of fish finders come with transform mount transducers out of the box, which are very easy to install. Additionally, the cone angle is an important consideration. If the cone has a wide degree, the more area will be covered.
For anglers who are using in-hull or thru-hull transducers, it is great to go for plastic housing for metal hulls and fiberglass. Stainless steel housings are ideal for aluminum and steel hulls while bronze are best for wood and fiberglass hulls.
Transducer cones are available in angles ranging from 9-60 degrees. If you get 20 degrees cone, this is an excellent selection for an angler who fish in different water depths. It is important to note that you can cover a large area if you have a cone with a wider degree. Contrary, as the angle gets wider, the sensitivity will start to lessen as you go in deep waters.
The frequencies available for kayak fish finders can either be dual, single or multiple. Dual frequency transducers come with both 20 and 60 degrees cones. Many transducers come with 50, 83, 192 and 200 kHz. If you are fishing on shallow water, you need higher frequencies such as 192 and 200 kHz. Lower frequencies will work best on deep water.
The next thing that you need to find out is the available mounting space on your kayak. Your kayak should have enough space to hold a small 12Vbattery, cables rods and a screen large enough to display the details. You can choose a 5-inch screen if you have a large kayak but for those with small kayaks 3.5-4-inch screen size will be ideal.
As you can see, the best fish finders given above differ in their manufacturer, features, and functions, however they all have one thing in common; they are all top quality kayak fish finders. Going out on your angling kayak is no longer a long and arduous process, and with any of the kayak fish finders given above you can now increase your fish yield tenfold.
Say goodbye to the old way of fishing, and embrace the technology you see above. You will not be disappointed the next time you set out on your fishing adventure. Good luck as you head out on the water with your kayak or pontoon boats and new fish finder, and feel free to tell me about how your experience was.