Best Marine Battery Chargers – Reviews with Comparison
Ensuring that you maintain a healthy battery is very important to ensure that the electrical appliances keep working on your boat. How you charge your battery matters a lot because, in some batteries, overcharging can end up damaging the battery completely.
You should get the right charger that will provide the best performance when charging your battery. Different types of marine battery chargers are available on the market, and some come with power banks. It is crucial to ensure that you purchase a battery charge that is certified by American Boat and Yacht Council.
Choosing the right battery charger can be tough because all claim to provide the best services but this is not always the case. I have provided you with top ten best marine battery chargers that work well and guarantee you of a better performance. I hope these reviews will assist you in picking the right battery charger.
Table of Contents
- Best Marine Battery Chargers - Comparisons
- 10 Best Marine Battery Chargers - Reviews
- 1. NOCO Genius GEN3 30 Amp 3-Bank On-Board Battery Charger
- 2. Schumacher SC1325 6/12V Wheeled Fully Automatic Battery Charger and 40/250A Engine Starter
- 3. Promariner Prosport 20 Plus Gen 3 20 Amp-3 Bank Charger by ProMariner
- 4. Minn Kota On-Board Digital Charger
- 5. NOCO Genius GENM2 8 Amp 2-Bank On-Board Battery Charger
- 6. WEEGO JS18 Jump Starter 2100 Peak 600 Cranking Amps Basic Lithium Ion Power Pack USB Charging 100 Lumen LED Flashlight
- 7. Marinco Charge Pro Waterproof Battery Chargers
- 8. NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer
- 9. MinnKota MK-105P Portable Battery Charger
- 10. NOCO Genius G750 6V/12V .75 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer
- How to Choose the Best Marine Battery Charger
- Final Words
Best Marine Battery Chargers - Comparisons
10 Best Marine Battery Chargers - Reviews
Buying a quality marine battery charge gives you some peace of mind. This provides you the opportunity to enjoy all your activities when you are fishing, sailing, exploring or skiing among others.
Have you tried the NOCO Genius GEN3 30 Amp 3-Bank battery charger? If not, you need to get it if you want to charge your marine battery the right way.
The charger is very safe for anybody to use. It doesn't generate sparks, no reverse battery hookup, open circuit, short circuit, over current, overheating and it doesn't overcharge the battery. This makes it a perfect selection for your marine battery charger. It doesn't matter the type of battery that you have, this charger will charge it safely.
Whether you have a wet cell, AGM, gel cell, enhanced flooded or any other maintenance-free battery, the charger will do a great job charging all these types of batteries.
The charger is fully waterproof, and it is completely sealed to protect it from extreme environments. It uses Rapid Charging Technology making it charge batteries 2 times faster as compared to other batteries. With its innovative technology, charging becomes a very simple task.
- The charger is ETL approved
- It can charge 12-volt marine and deep cycle batteries
- Charges all types of batteries safely
- It is 100 percent waterproof
- Very effective charger
- Compact and lightweight
- Charges two times faster as compared to other chargers
- Customers complain of the charger overcharging the battery
Marine battery chargers face harsh environmental conditions, and they require careful consideration when purchasing as compared to buying a car charger.
Purchasing the wrong marine charger can end up messing up with your battery. You need to get a safe charger like the Schumacher SE-4022 2/10/40/200 Amp that charges the battery safely without damaging them.
The charger is long lasting meaning you can use it to charge your battery for many years. It features a cooling fan to provide a high performance and extended life.
The charger has a tester that provides you with a wide range of charging rates, and this makes it best in fleet operations. It will work well with 6 and 12-volt batteries. As compared to other chargers, this one can analyze electrical and starting system problems.
The charger comes with a multi-functional tester with two rotary switches and a voltmeter that assist you to test the battery.
- The charge is very easy to use
- Features a multi-function tester
- Great manual wheel charger with engine start
- Comes with 2-year warranty
- Perfect for charging expended vehicle batteries
- It is designed with a cooling fan
- Includes two rotary switches and voltmeter
- Charges batteries fast
- Doesn't have a shut-off
You might invest your money purchasing the best marine battery only to mess things up with the wrong charger. The charge you purchase should be the right one for charging your battery.
There are a wide range of battery chargers on the market, so it is very easy to choose the wrong one. But you do not have to end up with a wrong charger that can damage your battery.
With the ProMariner ProSport 20+ Generation 3 20 Amp, you can be sure of effective battery charging without compromising the lifespan of your battery.
The battery uses distributed on demand technology that utilizes 100 percent of the available charging amp and distributes it to the entire battery as required. It provides fast and efficient charging, so you don't have to wait for long for the battery to charge.
This lightweight marine battery charger has advanced technology that does away with time-consuming troubleshooting by indicating the system and the battery connections are doing well. In case of any fault on the battery bank, it will indicate.
The charger is perfect for trolling motor and house battery banks. It has a compact, and rugged extruded aluminum design and dual in-line DC safety fuses making it perfect for such batteries. The charger also has a built-in over-voltage, over temperature, overload, reverse polarity and ignition protection. You do not expect it to harm your battery in any way.
Another great thing about the charger is that during short and long term storage, its ProSpot automatically reconditions all batteries on board once in a month for the best performance and optimum battery life.
- Provides increased power and performance
- Designed with automatic installation feedback LED indicators
- Has digitally selectable charger profiles
- Comes with two-year manufacturer warranty
- Pre-wired for easy installation
- It maintains all batteries on board safely
- Compact and rugged extruded aluminum design
- It is not compatible with 4D batteries
Purchasing marine batteries is quite an investment, but many people end up damaging their batteries when they pick the wrong marine battery charger.
Spending your money on the right charger will always give you the best results when charging your battery. The MinnKota MK 210D On-Board Battery Charger is a nice charger that you can think of buying.
The charger features a microprocessor based design that protects your battery, provides fast charging and allows you to stay on the water for long.
Using this digital on-board charger is very simple. It has enhanced status codes that display charge state, error notification, fully charge and maintenance mode status. It is also very safe because it features automatic shut-off feature to pro-long the life of your battery.
- It is corrosion resistant hence perfect for saltwater use
- Has multi-stage charging and automatic temperature compensation
- Features reverse polarity and ignition protection
- Charges batteries fast
- Designed with convenient on-board mounting
- It is waterproof
- Users say it doesn't last for long
There are so many companies out there that produce marine battery chargers. All these brands claim that their products work well in charging batteries, but this is not always the case.
Some of the chargers are so pathetic, and they will end up disappointing you. To be on the safe side, you can try the NOCO Genius GENM2 8 Amp 2-Bank Waterproof charger.
The charger is perfect for 12-volt batteries, and it can charge and maintain all types of lead acid batteries ranging from 20- 120 Ah. It also works well with AGM, wet, gel and MF batteries.
Unlike other charges that pose safety hazards, this one is very safe to use for everyone. It doesn't produce sparks, and it protects your battery from short circuit, reverse battery hookup, overheating and open circuit.
The charger can bring a dead battery back to life with its advanced recovery mode. It also repairs damaged parts of the battery to make them healthy and long lasting. On top of that, the charger recovers deeply discharged and sulfated battery with pulse charging.
- Completely waterproof hence protecting it against extreme moisture
- Compact and lightweight
- The charger is ETL approved
- Charges all types of batteries effectively
- With its rapid charging technology, it charges batteries two times faster than other chargers
- Very safe for anyone to use
- It doesn't shutoff
If you are looking for a marine battery charger that can also charge mobile devices and car batteries, get the Weego JS12 12000mAh. The charger can start engines up to 6.4 L.
It also delivers perfect results when charging tablets, speakers, phones and other portable USB devices.
The charger works well with both diesel and gas engines so you can use it to jump start cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, tractors and personal water crafts among others.
The design of the charger is compact so that it will fit into your pocket easily. The charger is ultra slim and ultra-compact, and this doesn't compromise its performance in starting gas and diesel engines. You can carry the charger in your bag or pocket. Additionally, it comes with a carrying case that allows you to store it safely when it is not in use.
Do not expect a difficult time when you are using the charger. It is very simple and easy to use. It features built-in circuit protections that keep it very safe when you are using. It also has a built-in flashlight to provide you with better visibility.
Another good thing about the charger is that it runs both hot and cold. Its ideal operating temperature range from -4 degrees F to 140 degrees F.
- It can charge phones, speakers, tablets and other USB devices
- Charges quick and lasts long
- The charger is powerful
- It is easy to store
- It is small to fit in your pockets
- Can work with both gas and diesel engines
- It is durable
- Customers complain that the charger doesn't jump start cars as advertised
When selecting marine battery chargers, it is great if you consider a model that will serve you for many years without damaging your battery. One such charger that will give you that and much more is the Marinco Charge Pro Waterproof Battery Chargers.
This is a nice charger with great features and innovative technology hence guaranteeing you with ultimate performance and durability in the marine environment.
With its digital micro compressor controlled, the charger provides an accurate, efficient and full battery charging.
The charger is completely waterproof hence very ideal for using it in marine environments. It features a sealed in durable and corrosion proof thermal epoxy, and this makes it able to handle all harsh marine and industrial environments. It has a unique housing that non-corroding hence making it reliable and resistant to salt, shock, vibration, and moisture.
You can charge different types of batteries without overcharging or undercharging them. The charge features sense-send technology that senses the power needs of different batteries and hence it sends the correct charge. It has a universal voltage input that is great in charging flooded lead acid or AGM batteries. This charger can also revive a dead battery.
- The charger is waterproof
- Comes with two year warranty
- Provides very intuitive operation
- It can charge flooded, gel batteries and AGM
- Its sense send technology sends the correct charge for all batteries
- No cons for this charger so far
The type of marine battery charger that you buy for your battery has an impact on the life of the battery.
For instance, if you get a charger that overcharges or undercharges the battery, the lifespan of the battery is reduced. However, if you pick a well-rated battery charger, the battery will last longer.
This is why I recommend a top quality battery charger like the NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A that provides you with the best charging for your marine battery. The charger can charge fully drained lead acid and lithium ion batteries up to 120Ah.
This marine battery charger has intuitive visual diagnostic tool that detects reverse polarity, damaged batteries, and low voltage. It also applies a high voltage pulse charge when there is low voltage, sulfation or when it detects lost capacity.
The charger utilizes cutting-edge technology to provide superior performance. As compared to other chargers, the charging time is two times faster.
Another great thing about the charger is its streamlined design that makes it compact, lightweight and portable. It is designed with external mounting holes and a rubberized base to prevent slipping and occurrence of scratches.
- It can repair damaged batteries
- Compact and lightweight making it portable
- Carries five-year limited warranty
- Features intuitive LED indicators to provide visual state-of-charge
- Monitors battery activity for safe charging
- Features a rubberized base to prevent slipping and scratches
- Reduces energy consumption when full power is not needed
- Doesn't charge a fully drained battery
Choosing the right battery charger is the first step in ensuring that you get a battery that is accurately and efficiently charged.
If you are having trouble deciding which marine battery charger to choose, you can get the MinnKota MK-105P Portable Battery Charger to suit your needs. It is great for charging electric motor batteries.
The charger can fully charge 12V/6 cell battery even if you are not close to a traditional power source. Using the charger is pretty simple because it has easy to read LED display with different indicators for power on, full charge, charging and check the connection.
The charge is safe to charge your battery because it has safety features like short circuit and reverse polarity protection in case it is connected in the wrong way.
- It charges fast
- It is small lightweight and compact
- Carries 3-year warranty
- Has fully automatic 2 stage charging
- Complies with FCC standards
- Has short circuit and reverse polarity protection
- Stops working after using it a few times
Do you want to own the safest and the most advanced marine battery charger on the market? Then get no other than the NOCO Genius G750 6V/12V marine battery charger.
The charger works great in charging 6 and 12-volt batteries and takes up to 30 amp-hour. It can recover worn out batteries, and it doesn't overcharge the battery.
The battery can charge a fully drained lead acid battery for up to 30 Ah. It will work best on ATVs, motorcycles and lawn mowers. It is also made to maintain different types of automotive like marine, powersport, RV, deep cycle batteries and lawn and garden among others. The charger repairs damaged batteries and use micro-hybrid start-stop vehicles and canbus electrical systems.
The charger is very safe to use with its advanced safety features. It features intuitive diagnostic tool that detects reverse polarity, damaged battery, and low voltage. It is capable of applying high voltage pulse charge when there is low voltage, lost capacity or sulfation.
The charger keeps the battery fully charged, and it doesn't overcharge. It stabilizes the internal battery chemistry to provide the best performance and a long lasting performance. It can also alter the charging process depending on organic battery feedback.
- It can charge a fully drained lead acid battery
- Charges batteries two times faster as compared to other ordinary chargers
- The charger is ultra-compact and portable
- Features advanced diagnostic that provide visual feedback and other diagnostic information
- Minimizes energy consumption when there is no need for full power
- Users say it doesn't charge a fully discharged battery
How to Choose the Best Marine Battery Charger
You should give more attention when you are selecting the right marine battery charger so that you can get a charger that provides excellent charging services.
Even after going through the above reviews, you should also know these important tips that will help you decide on the right battery charger.
Type of Battery
Before you decide on the right charger, you should know about the type of battery that you have and its specifications.
Know more about the input voltage, amp per hour capacity and the type of battery. Once you figure out all these things, then choosing the right charger will not be complicated.
Find a Charger That Doesn't Overcharge
One of the biggest common mistakes that people make is buying a charger that overcharges or undercharges the battery. This ends up damaging your battery in the long run.
Overcharging the battery causes it to overheat and risks permanently damaging the battery. For you to get the best charger, it will depend on the battery capacity. Find out the right Ah rating that is indicated on the battery.
Durability and Safety
You can get epoxy-filled construction chargers that are waterproof. The charge should also ensure that no potential shock takes place and prevents condensation inside the charger. It should also eliminate sparkling.
The charger should also comply with the ABYC safety standards among other safety features.
How long does the charger take to charge the battery? The amount of time that a charge will take will depend on the size of the battery. The larger the battery, the more time it will take to charge.
Marine battery chargers should provide the right voltage required by the battery. In most cases, marine batteries are 12V, and in multiple batteries, the connection should be parallel.
You should not connect marine batteries in series because of unbalanced charging that can affect the life of the battery.
- Consider the discharge rate
- The chemistry of the battery
- Do you want a smart charger?
- Battery banks
- Battery amperage
I believe now you will not have trouble picking the right marine battery charger. All these chargers that are reviewed above are the best picks on the market and work exemplary well in charging your marine battery.
Even with the best charger, you still need to observe some important tips so that you can boost the longevity of the battery. These tips include the following:
- Always charge the battery after every use
- Avoid mixing old batteries with new ones
- Shallow discharges brings about a longer battery life
- The maximum safe discharge is 80 percent discharge
- Avoid leaving the batteries deeply discharged