10 Best Marine Battery in 2018 – Reviewed & Compared By Experts
You have found yourself on this site because you are looking for a battery for your boat or a buying guide to help you pick the best. It is very difficult to pick the best marine battery based on the options available for you online. This makes it difficult for many buyers, and I'm here to crack the puzzle and help you get a perfect marine battery.
I'm going to review some of the top quality marine batteries that can be used in different applications such as in the small drive boat and ferries. These batteries outperform many competitors, and they are made to crank an engine as well as used for a deep cycle power source in trolling motors and other electrical equipment.
Read the detailed reviews of our top battery recommendations where I have covered their features, strengths, weaknesses and a comprehensive buying guide to help you purchase a battery that will serve your needs.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Marine Battery in 2018 - Comparisons
- 10 Best Marine Battery in 2018 - Reviews
- 1. Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M BlueTop Starting
- 2. Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle Battery
- 3. Optima Batteries 8027-127 D27M Marine Battery
- 4. Vmaxtanks MR107 85AH Marine AGM SLA Battery
- 5. Optima Batteries 8040-218 D35 Dual Purpose Battery
- 6. Optima Batteries 8006-006 34M Starting Battery
- 7. Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery
- 8. Universal UB121000-45978 100AH AGM Battery
- 9. 12V 75Ah SLA Battery for Wayne ESP25
- 10. Sealed Lead Acid (AGM) Deep Cycle Battery
- How To Choose The Best Marine Battery in 2018
- Final Words
Top 10 Marine Battery in 2018 - Comparisons
12v - 48V
10 Best Marine Battery in 2018 - Reviews
1. Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M BlueTop Starting
Optima is the leading producer of the battery power technology. They have great products that suit the needs of users. You can try their Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M which is one of the most powerful batteries for both marine and recreational vehicles.
The battery utilizes Spiral Cell Technology that makes it efficient when it comes to performance.
It is also made up of Absorbent Glass Mat plates that hold electrolytes firmly to ensure that no spills take place. The technology also ensures that there are no intense vibration, corrosion or acid leaks that take place.
The battery provides 3 times tuning power as compared to other standard batteries. Even on bad weather, you can achieve an optimal starting power. The battery reserves capacity of 155 to provide a constant performance.
Just like other batteries, this one also is fifteen times more resistant to vibration to ensure it is durable. It provides you with a real value for your purchase because you will enjoy using it for many years.
- The battery is spill proof
- It doesn't require maintenance
- Provides an optimal starting power even on a bad weather
- Resistant to vibration and shock up to 15 more times than other batteries
- Perfect for both deep cycle and starting
- Has a reserve capacity of 155 minutes to offer constant performance
- Perfect for boats, recreational vehicles, and large accessory loads
- Doesn't come with a warranty of 48 or 60 months as seen in other batteries
2. Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle Battery
VMAX Solar is another top brand that produces high-quality batteries. You can try their Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle battery that is designed to provide you with a float service life span of 8 to 10 years.
This battery is designed with 99 percent recombination capabilities, and it doesn't have fumes or gasses.
The battery is well suited for solar applications, power inverters, smart chargers and wind turbines. It is also used in trolling heavy vehicles.
Everybody wants to invest their money purchasing a durable battery, and this is what exactly you get from this product. It has a lifespan of up to 10 years as long as you maintain the charger according to the guidelines provided. If you do not charge the battery properly, it can affect the performance of the battery.
The battery also brags of military grade custom made plates. It is designed with heavy duty alloys and quality material construction to ensure you get the best performance and a long life. Its robust construction makes it tough to handle any extreme bad climate.
- The battery has a long life
- Has a low self-discharge rate when used in stand mode for power backup
- Perfect for storing solar energy
- Has a solid and robust construction
- Designed with military grade custom plates
- Comes with 12 months warranty
- Stops holding charge after a few weeks of using
3. Optima Batteries 8027-127 D27M Marine Battery
Optima is a well-established company in providing customers with a high-quality marine battery that provides an exemplary performance.
You can try the Optima Batteries 8027-127 D27M BlueTop which is perfect for deep cycle and starting applications. You will enjoy quick recharge times and longest service once you get this battery.
This best marine battery utilizes pure lead spiral design that allows the lead to be used its pure form. This spiral makes the battery resistant to vibration hence extending its life. On top of that, the battery also has solid cast cell connections that provide increased durability and maximum plate height.
The normal voltage of the battery is 12Volts which the voltage cells work with before dropping to 10.5 volts. When you charge the battery fully, the voltage can go up to 13.5 volts. It also has a reserve capacity of 140 minutes.
The battery uses AGM technology hence making it completely maintenance free. It is spill proof so you can mount it at any desired position without altering the structure and the performance of the battery.
- It is vibration and shock proof
- Provides long service and good durability
- It is spill proof
- Doesn't require any maintenance
- It has a reserve capacity of 140 minutes
- Provides dual purpose applications hence providing users with versatility
- Customers complain about short battery life
4. Vmaxtanks MR107 85AH Marine AGM SLA Battery
Purchasing the best marine deep cycle marine is not as simple as it might seem to be. There are many things that you need to make so that you can get a perfect battery. If you are searching for a battery that is ideal for boats and trolling motors, get the Vmaxtanks MR107 12V.
Why I'm I recommending this battery? This is because it provides a lot of beneficial features as compared to other batteries on the market.
Once you purchase the battery, you can enjoy great services for up to 8 or 10 years. It has a durable construction, and it charges very fast.
Another main reason why you should get this marine battery is because it doesn't require any maintenance. It is designed with tightly sealed tanks that hold plates and electrolyte package. Because the battery is non-slipping and non-toxic, maintaining it under outside weather is simple.
When it comes to transportation, everything is catered for, and you will have an easy time moving the battery with its carrying handles. You can easily take the battery from the machine when you want to charge it or replace.
The battery is also designed with heavy duty lead-tin alloys that give an improved level of performance throughout its life.
- Provides you with maintenance free operation
- Carry handle make carrying the battery easily
- Designed with heavy duty grids
- Has a longer life
- Provides strong power for deep cycling
- No complaints so far
5. Optima Batteries 8040-218 D35 Dual Purpose Battery
If you want a battery to use when the electrical loads are higher than average or when the discharge cycle is more than the normal engine setting, you should go for a battery that has a yellow top.
Optima provides you with the Optima Batteries 8040-218 D35 YellowTop which is a great battery with 12-volt and 650 cold cranking.
This makes it a very powerful battery for starting small to medium sized outboard motor.
The battery is a small and lightweight making it very portable. It weighs 36 pounds and measures less than 10 by 7 inches. You can use it in small boats and cars that have limited space for mounting large sized batteries.
Optima Batteries 8040-218 D35 YellowTop has a reserve capacity of 98 minutes. This makes it a perfect selection for good deep cycling and using it in smaller trolling motors.
The battery features a thick and durable plastic exterior and uses AGM. Its strong and durable construction ensures that the battery is 15 times less vibration as compared to other batteries. When there are less vibrations, your battery will last longer. You will also enjoy the best warranty when you are using this battery. It is protected from defects for 36 months once you purchase. If your battery is defective or stops working, you will get a free replacement.
- It is compact and lightweight
- Provides an outstanding performance
- Powerful to start small and medium sized outboard motors
- Its 98-minute reserve capacity makes the battery perfect for trolling motors
- Features a durable exterior
- Overcharging the battery can damage it
6. Optima Batteries 8006-006 34M Starting Battery
Another great marine starting battery from Optima is the Optima Batteries 8006-006 34M. This is a top quality battery that is designed to work in any weather.
It features a thick and durable plastic exterior that provides up to 15 times more vibration resistance as compared to other batteries.
Being an AGM battery, it doesn't require any maintenance, and you will enjoy a very consistent and reliable performance. It provides 800 cold cranking amp and 1000 A marine cranking amps, so it has more starting power for small and medium sized outboard engines, RVs, cars and other vehicles.
It has a unique Spiral Cell design that provides a strong and clean source of power to ensure that you are safe all the time. With its reserve capacity of 100 minutes, you can get a longer shelf-life to provide you with the power that you need all the time.
Another good thing about the marine battery is that it doesn't weight much. Weighing only 40 pounds makes it light and compact so you can easily mount it in any position in your boat.
- Offers sure starting and string cranking
- Has a higher reserve capacity
- Resistant to vibration up to 15 times more than other batteries
- Provides optimal starting power on bad weather
- Doesn't need any maintenance because it is AGM
- It is lightweight
- Comes with two-year warranty
- It's only a starting battery, so you need to purchase a separate deep cycle battery for a trolling motor
- Overcharging the battery can cause permanent damages
7. Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery
Do you have a very old engine that makes it difficult to start the engine? Get the Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery which provides a very powerful burst of ignition power when you are starting the engine all the time.
The battery utilizes Spiralcell Technology in a series of spiral wound cell that is made up of 99 percent lead plates which feature coated with lead oxide.
It includes s a positive coated lead plate, and the other one is negative. This is an absorbent glass mat battery that offers a reliable cranking for your auto. It serves even the most challenging cranking starting applications.
The battery provides you with an optimum starting power even when there is bad weather. It has a reverse capacity of 90 minutes to provide a constant performance.
As compared to other marine batteries, this one is more durable. It is fifteen times more resistant to vibration which makes it long lasting. This redtop battery also outperforms many traditional batteries when it comes to starting applications. It provides an impressive high power delivery and high resistance which causes failure in many batteries.
- It has two times longer life as compared to other batteries
- The battery is maintenance free
- Has a faster recharging time
- Provides optimal starting power
- Comes with applicable installation height adapters
- Works well with trucks, motorcycles, and cars
- It is heavy and expensive
8. Universal UB121000-45978 100AH AGM Battery
There are a wide range of batteries out there such that it can be a demanding task to find which one will suit you best. Have you tried the Universal UB121000-45978 12v?
This is a nice battery made in Asia, and it is non-sealable. This means that it doesn't require water throughout the life of the battery.
The battery is true deep cycle giving you the opportunity to mount it in any position. It doesn't need any maintenance as compared to other batteries. There are no special handling regulations so you can transport the battery by air or ground.
The battery has AGM design that offers a high reliability, especially in extreme applications. This battery is also leak and spill proof.
- The battery is valve regulated
- It is maintenance free
- Leak and spill-proof
- Its AGM design provides perfect deep cycle performance rating
- It has less than 3 percent per month standing self-discharge
- Complaints of the battery not holding charge
9. 12V 75Ah SLA Battery for Wayne ESP25
Our last top battery is the 12V 75Ah SLA Battery that is rechargeable, doesn't need water, and it is maintenance free. It features an advanced design, and you can use the battery right from the box. No need to add fluids as seen in other flooded wet cell batteries.
This rechargeable battery features a high discharge rate and operates and wide temperatures.
It has a deep discharge recover, and you will enjoy long life when using the battery.
You are not limited to how you can mount the battery. You can mount it in any ideal position. This battery is also shock and vibration resistance hence prolonging its life.
- Provides an incredible performance in both high and low temperatures
- Comes with 30-day refund policy and one year warranty
- Doesn't need maintenance
- No adding fluids
- Can be mounted in any position
- No cons for the battery
10. Sealed Lead Acid (AGM) Deep Cycle Battery
This is another non-lithium battery that provides a long life and very dependable power regardless of the application. You can mount the battery at whatever angle you want for your small boat and other devices.
It is a lightweight battery you will not have a hard time when you are loading it in your boat or removing it for charging.
With its dependable power, this battery can provide power to your trolling motor the whole day. As compared to other acid batteries which experience leaks, this is different because it is spill proof. You can use it for rough trolling without worrying about damaging its cells.
Being an AMG battery, this means that it doesn't require maintenance at all. Once you install it, you will continue to enjoy its great performance for the rest of its life.
- Provides dependable power for different applications
- Lightweight for easy handling
- You can mount it any angle because it is spill proof
- Has a total voltage of 12 amps
- No need of maintenance
- The battery is small
How To Choose The Best Marine Battery in 2018
I believe you know that the batteries are available in different sizes, types, prices and they also have different features. All these might end up confusing you when you are trying to purchase the best marine battery. But with this buyers guide, selecting the right battery will not be problematic.
How Do You Intend To Use The Battery?
Do you want a battery for running onboard appliances or do you want one for cranking the boat or both purposes? This is a crucial factor you should put in mind that will help you select the right marine battery to suit your needs.
This is measured in cold cranking amps (CCA) which is the number of amps that is delivered at 0 degrees F in 30 seconds so that it can maintain the voltage over 7.2 volts which is the least power for cracking an engine. If you intend to start your engine on a cold season, you should purchase a battery that has at least 5000 CCA rating or even more.
Design And Maintenance
Some older batteries require maintenance, and this can bore you if you have such a battery. You can think of buying new AGM (absorbent glass mat) technology that doesn't need any maintenance. This makes them very easy to own as compared to older batteries.
Date Of Manufacture
Even if a battery is new and unused, it can lose its effectiveness and fail to maintain charge. If you compare the performance of a battery that has stayed one year to the one from the factory, you will notice a very big difference when it comes to the performance. Always check the manufacturing date of the battery so that you can get one that provides you with the best performance.
Marine batteries are available in different sizes which are determined by groups. For instance, you can get 24, 27, 31, 6D and much more. If you are replacing your old battery, ensure that the one you buy fits it the old box. You should also consider the ventilation in your boat so that you do not end up with a large battery that takes up much space.
You can get the batteries in different types depending on your needs. For instance, starting batteries provide short high amperage juice bursts to spin the starter. These batteries do not require to be deeply discharged. We also have the deep cycle batteries that tolerate deep discharges. The batteries can be discharged and recharged many times before you throw them away.
Marine batteries incorporate different types of technologies. We have flooded-electrolyte batteries that offer a reasonable performance, and they are low priced. These batteries are self-discharging, and they need maintenance by checking and filling the electrolyte. You can also get absorbed glass mat batteries that use fiberglass coils soaked in electrolyte to prevent spilling acid. These batteries provide a slow self-discharge rate and more power.
Kindly take note of the above factors when you are choosing the best marine battery. When you have the above features in mind, you can never end up with a wrong battery.
The above marine batteries that I have picked work well and they are worth investing. They are some of the top rated batteries with positive customer reviews. Pick one with the features you want, and you will get a perfect battery for your boat.