Cuddeback Long Range Ir Hunting Cameras Review
Trail cameras are great for a lot of reasons. If you’re a hunter, they can show you the kinds of deer and other animals that traverse a particular section of your hunting grounds. Studying their behavior and trails can help you bag a prize buck when the time comes.
Alternatively, if you’re just curious as to what kind of creatures lurk around your property at night (and during the day), a trail camera is a fantastic way to find out. They can even be used for security purposes, as they can capture any people lurking in the area as well.
When comparing different trail cameras, you’ll see that the Cuddeback Long Range model is better than most. Not only does it have a much more high-end camera installed, but it comes with some pretty incredible features as well. Let’s take a look.
Table of Contents
Rugged Design[amazon_link asins=’B00HYY2RH4′ template=’ProductImage’ store=’fishingpickus-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’e9c54115-d509-11e7-aad8-0b18d15a39ba’]
Since these devices are made for sitting outdoors for extended periods, you need to make sure that it will hold up to the environmental conditions in your area. For example, if you experience ice and snow, your trail camera needs to be capable of staying on in subzero temperatures.
Although this particular model is not rated for extreme weather, it will stay on through most climates. Rain and light snow shouldn’t be too much of a problem, so feel free to leave it out all night.
That being said, no trail camera is impervious to everything, so it’s always a good idea to check in on it and make sure that everything is in working order. Also, it will give you a chance to empty the memory card and look at what’s on it.
¼ Second Trigger Speed
One of the best features of this trail camera from Cuddeback is that it’s much faster than almost anything else on the market. Usually, these devices will activate in nearly a second, which can be too slow for an animal on the move.
As such, you can get crystal clear images in a fraction of the time, ensuring that you don’t have a memory card full of blurry pictures. Not only that, but it comes with proprietary anti-blur technology, so that makes the results even better overall.
Another impressive thing about this feature is that it resets much faster as well. Other cameras can take up to 10 seconds to reset for a new photo, which means that your target is likely long gone. This model, however, can do it a second or less, so you’ll get more images of what counts.
20 MP Images
Another reason that you know that this is one of the better trail cameras is the fact that it comes with such an amazing camera. Most units have around seven or eight megapixels, which can lead to a lot of blurring when the target is moving.
In this case, however, you get such high-definition that it allows you to zoom and enhance any image you take. Thus, even if your deer or elk is farther away than you’d prefer, you can still see it in crystal-clear detail.
Overall, when compared to other trail cameras, this model from Cuddeback blows them all away.
Typically speaking, trail cameras are set up to have one kind of aspect ratio: widescreen. This is so that they can capture as much as possible, but it can sometimes leave a lot to be desired. Fortunately, this camera gives you the option of a narrow or widescreen view, so you can focus on what’s most important. Also, given the fact that you can zoom in on your pictures after the fact, having this capability only enhances the results and performance of this device.
Even an experienced tracker doesn’t know precisely how animals are going to move and interact with their surrounding. As such, you could place your trail camera right next to some hoof marks and still not get anything when a herd passes by.
Thankfully, you don’t have to worry about that problem with this camera. It has a night range of 100 feet, which ensures that you can catch all of the action as it happens. Some low-end models can only go up to 50 feet or so, meaning that you might not see everything that passes in front.
Coupled with the ultra-fast trigger speed, you can get some fantastic shots with this camera.
- Durable construction
- Easy to use menu controls
- ¼-second trigger speed
- Four times faster than other cameras
- HD 20-megapixel images
- 100-foot flash range
- Zone control allows for narrow or wide photos
- Uses standard AA batteries
- Mounting strap and bracket included
- Low light CMOS image sensor built-in
- Reduced infrared motion blur
- One-second recovery
- Video recording with sound
- Capture up to 30 seconds of video
- Customized day or night delay
- Works with SD cards (up to 32 MB)
- Can be tricky to set up, especially compared to other models
- Does not work with Apple products
- How many batteries does it use, and how long do they last?
- It takes eight AA batteries, and the duration will depend on how you use the camera. I think it averages to about 12 hours or so. If you take video or time lapse, it will affect the battery life.
- Can I use an SD card that is greater than 32 MB?
- No, that is the max that the camera can work with, so any extra storage will be unused.
- Can you mount this camera on a tripod?
- Yes, there is a mounting station on the bottom. Just remove the two screws on the back to reach it.
When looking at all of the features that you get with this camera, it’s easy to be impressed. Although we would prefer that the menu is a little easier to navigate (the screen can be hard to read at times), it is still one of the best high-performance devices out there.
Combining everything ensures that you get the best pictures possible. A fast trigger speed means that you won’t miss anything that passes by, a super HD image allows you to explore more of your photos, and a rugged housing enables you to keep it out and working for longer periods.
Overall, this trail camera from Cuddeback is top-notch.
- Best Wireless Trail Camera – Top Models Compared
- Best Waterproof Camera – Final List After Our Rigorous Test
- Best GoPro for Fishing – Guide To Choosing The Right Action Camera
- Best Selfie Sticks for GoPro – Hold Your Adventure Moments!
- Capturing Memories with the Best Underwater Camera For Scuba & Water Activitie