Garmin 7612xsv GPS Review – Better Multi-touch Widescreen Display
If you’re a professional angler, then you want to have the best equipment on your boat to ensure that you can make the most out of every water excursion. When it comes to fish finders, nothing is as advanced or as reliable as the Garmin 7612xsv model.
This is the Cadillac of fish finders, meaning that you won’t find a more high-tech gadget for the water. No matter what kind of fish you’re trying to catch, it will be supremely easy with this device.
That being said, it is somewhat pricey, so we only recommend it to those who are serious about fishing and want to have a system that can provide much more than just fish finding. So, with that in mind, let’s see what the 7612xsv can do for you.
As far as fish finder screens go, most of them are rather small. Overall, the less money you pay, the worse the screen gets, with the lowest-end models having about three inches of display material and a black and white image.
Conversely, this finder is top of the line. With a 12-inch touchscreen, you can do so much more with this device than you could with most other units. It’s backlit, it displays in high-definition, and it is compatible with a full suite of extras, such as autopilot and thermal imaging.
You can even program it to sync to your boat so that you can control the motor from the screen.
As far as imaging technology goes, there is nothing as reliable as CHIRP. All of the best finders rely on this sophisticated system to ensure that they can bounce back the best images. In this case, you get a full kilowatt of energy coursing through the sonar beacon, which provides much better results.
First of all, you can search up to 5000 feet down, which makes this finder ideal for any and all waterways, including the deep ocean.
Secondly, you get much clearer images of your next catch so that you can monitor its position much more easily. Not only that, but it comes with down and side view imaging that enable you to sweep all around the boat to see what’s going on in the water.
As long as you match this finder with an equally top-notch transducer, you can do a lot of great things with it.
Since this device is made by Garmin, you know that GPS tracking is going to be built-in. With this model, you get one of the best mapping systems available. It is so sensitive that it refreshes your position every ten seconds. It also comes with some bonus features that you will enjoy.
First, you can switch to “over the bow” imaging, which helps you navigate better (rather than a bird’s eye view). Second, you can chart your course and save it for next time. You can flag different spots for a variety of reasons, making each return journey much easier for you.
Finally, this GPS comes with a ton of preloaded maps that chart both inland and coastal waterways. This enables you to explore much more territory without having to worry about whether you have the latest update.
- Durable construction
- Large 12-inch touchscreen
- High-definition display
- Multiple mounting options available
- High-powered GPS
- Accepts two SD memory cards
- BlueChart and LakeVu maps preinstalled
- Chartplotting and map saving
- CHIRP sonar included
- Down and side view imaging
- One kW power provided
- 5,000-foot depth capacity
- Transducer not included
- Expensive even compared to other models
- Does this unit come with a transducer?
- Unfortunately, it does not. However, it’s compatible with a wide range of transducers, so if you have one already, you should be able to connect it.
- What kind of mounting bracket comes with this fish finder?
- It has a simple pivoting mount. You can find additional mounting hardware online through Garmin’s website.
- Can I download apps to this device?
- Yes, it’s fully compatible with a broad array of different Garmin systems. These include things like autopilot, thermal cameras, remote capability, and marine weather receiver.
In the end, the price tag for this fish finder is going to be prohibitive for most anglers. However, if you are either a professional or you’re looking for a unit that will provide you with the best results, you can justify paying the extra cost. This machine is so advanced and so high-tech that you will probably still be uncovering additional features a year later.
- Best Truck GPS – Top Selections From A Longtime Trucker!
- 10 Best Geocaching GPS – Reviewed By Expert
- 10 Best Marine GPS – Tested & Reviewd By Boat Experts!
- Garmin Echo 551DV Fish Finder Review – Impressive Features
- Garmin Echomap 73sv Marine GPS Review – Worth The Price?