Garmin Striker 4dv Fish Finders Review
When you’re out on the water, finding fish can be a challenge. Even if you’re in a high-traffic area, that doesn’t mean that you will get a bite. Too often, you can spend hours on your boat with nothing to show for it, which can be quite disappointing.
Fortunately, with the Striker 4DV from Garmin, that problem will be a thing of the past. This fish finder provides you with all of the tools you need to locate your next catch. Let’s see how it can make your fishing trip a guaranteed success.
3.5-Inch HD Screen
When looking at different fish finders, you’ll notice that there is a lot of variation in the size of the screen. In this case, the Striker is designed to be more compact and portable than anything else. Its size enables you to re position however you like, as well as place it on a smaller craft, such as a dinghy or a canoe.
We like the screen, though, because it still displays in crystal-clear HD, and it provides a full-color image. Also, it’s backlit so that you can read it in all kinds of lighting conditions.
Since the Striker 4DV is built to be portable, it has to withstand more abuse than other finders. As such, it has an extra-durable housing that will resist scratches and dents, as well as protect the internal components. Also, the unit is waterproof, so if you accidentally drop it, there shouldn’t be any damage. Just be sure to recover it ASAP to be safe.
If you’re familiar with the brand Garmin, then you know that it is well-known for making high-quality GPS systems. Thankfully, the company has brought its expert knowledge of tracking your position to this fish finder, which allows you to do even more.
Not only can you see where you are on the water, but you can navigate by charting waypoints and plotting a course. This will enable you to avoid any rough spots or dead zones, and you can refer back to these maps on your next fishing excursion. Also, it will show boat speed for your convenience.
All of these features don’t mean anything if the device can’t find any fish. Fortunately, the Striker 4DV comes with a high-quality sonar system. CHIRP is better than most other types because it sends out a variety of frequencies. This allows it to map the bottom more accurately, and it provides you with a sharper and precise image of the fish beneath the surface.
In this case, you can see up to 1,750 feet below you, making this finder ideal for all kinds of waterways. Also, since it has a rugged housing, feel free to take it out into the ocean for some deep-sea fishing.
Once again, the portability of this finder gives you a lot of flexibility in how you use it. Not only can you attach it (and the transducer) to a boat or canoe, but you can utilize its flasher for vertical jigging or ice fishing. So, no matter what kind of excursion you’re going on, the Striker will help make sure that it’s successful.
- Durable construction
- Compact and portable design
- GPS built-in for convenience
- Waypoint charting and plotting
- Boat speed and water temp display
- 3.5-inch HD screen
- Rugged housing is waterproof and scratch-resistant
- Works on both fresh and saltwater
- CHIRP sonar for reliable viewing
- Flasher included for ice fishing or vertical jigging
- GT20 transducer included
- Mount to any watercraft
- 1,750-foot depth capacity
- Screen may be too small for some users
- In rare cases, the GPS may not be as precise as it should
- Can I mount this fish finder to my canoe or kayak?
- Yes, it’s compact enough that it will fit. Also, it comes with suction cup mounts so that you can swap boats easily.
- What is the rating for the transducer that comes with it?
- It operates at 300-watt RMS. As far as frequencies, it works with Traditional 50/77/200 kHz CHIRP (mid and high) and DownVü 260/455/800 kHz.
- Does it save your maps for you?
- Yes, it will save them so that you can reuse them on your next trip.
Although the small size of the Striker 4DV may be off-putting for some users, we appreciate its portability and ruggedness. We like that you can swap it on different watercrafts and that you can take it ice fishing as well. Even with a smaller design, it still provides all of the necessary details you need, making it a surefire hit for any and all anglers.