Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Review – Home & Outdoor Battery Backup Generator Alternative
One thing that most of us take for granted is electricity. For the most part, we can plug in our various devices without ever worrying about running out of juice. However, depending on where you live, a portable generator is always a good thing to have. Also, if you like to spend time outdoors, then you need a power source that is as mobile as you.
In this case, we have the Goal Zero Yeti 1250. Unlike most power generators, this one doesn’t run on fuel. Instead, it’s battery operated, meaning that you don’t have to worry about things like noise or fumes. Let’s see what this model has to offer.
Table of Contents
1250 Wh Station
When comparing a battery-operated generator to one that runs on gas, you may think that this cannot be as powerful. However, even without gasoline, this unit can generate up to 1250 Wh with no problems. In fact, it can charge up to 10 devices if you like.
What’s also great about having a battery instead of a motor is that it can be recharged in a variety of ways. First, you can hook it up to solar panels (sold separately). Second, you can charge it from your vehicle’s engine. Finally, you can plug it into the wall outlet and watch as it refills.
Although you can’t use this generator for high-powered devices, it works well for most electronics and some appliances, such as a refrigerator.
Multiple Charging Ports
One of the great features of this generator is that it can practically charge anything. It comes with USB ports, 12-volt connections, and standard outlets. This enables you to keep all of your electronic materials running, no matter how they plug in.
Also, to protect your gadgets from overloading, this generator comes with a sine wave inverter, which ensures that it works will all sensitive components.
Another impressive feature is that you can connect this generator to a series of other batteries to extend its overall life. So, if you have access to other power sources (i.e., a car battery) with no way to hook it up to anything, you can connect it to this generator and let it feed into the power grid.
Solar Panel Compatible
Although this generator doesn’t come with any solar panels, the fact that it can be hooked up to them is incredible. That means that you can recharge the station from anywhere, allowing you to stay out longer. Depending on the kind of panels you get, it can even be more efficient than plugging it into a wall outlet.
Comparatively speaking, an outlet will refill this generator in about 18 hours. Solar panels can take about a third of that time.
Also Read: Best AGM Battery Review
Most generators can be a big pain to carry around. They’re heavy, and they don’t offer much in the way of portability. However, This unit comes with its own set of wheels and a telescoping handle. This way, you can move it around like a piece of rolling luggage, rather than having to break your back carrying this thing.
- Durable construction
- Long-lasting power
- 1200 Wh of energy
- Powers up to 10 devices
- Contains outlets, 12-volt, and USB ports
- Telescoping handle and wheels
- Rugged housing for outdoor use
- Can be paired with other batteries
- Solar panel charging available
- Works with sensitive electronics
- No noise or pollution
- Recharge via solar panels, wall outlet, or car battery
- Heavy and cumbersome
- In rare cases, the unit may overheat or spark
- If I want to connect it to solar panels, how many should I get?
- According to the manufacturer, the max input of energy is 240 watts, so just be sure not to exceed that with your panels.
- How long is this rated to last?
- It’s been tested for up to 800 recharges, so you should be able to use it for a long time without any problems.
- Will I damage the unit if I keep it plugged in for extended periods?
- If it’s going to be more than a month or so, you should unplug it and then recharge it every 30 days to keep it topped off. However, constant power won’t damage the internal components.
If you’re in need of a portable generator, then you will appreciate everything that the Goal Zero Yeti 1250 has to offer. Unlike gas-powered models, it’s energy efficient and safe to use. Also, it provides much more versatility, and it’s much more eco-friendly than the others.
Even if you don’t have to use it that often, having the Yeti around will provide you with a backup just in case of disaster.
- Best Marine Battery Charger Reviews
- 10 Best Marine Battery Reviews
- Best Trolling Motor Battery Reviews
- Minn Kota Endura Max 55 Review