Igloo Sportsman 55 Cooler Review – Better Than Yeti?
Whether you’re camping in the woods, hunting with your buddies, or enjoying a relaxing day on the beach, nothing beats having a cooler by your side. Drinks, snacks, and other goodies are always close by when you bring a cooler, but that doesn’t mean that all of them are built the same.
If you’re looking for a model that is built extra tough, then you will love the Sportsman 55. Not only is it big enough to handle any outdoor excursion, but it can take a beating without ever showing signs of damage. Let’s see what this cooler has to offer.
Table of Contents
Overall, the Sportsman was designed with fisherman and hunters in mind. As such, you can feel free to use it as an icebox for your next catch, or as a holder for all of your beverages. Regardless of your intent, you can keep a lot of stuff inside with a 55-quart interior. That translates to about 80 cans or over a dozen pounds of meat.
The other cool thing about this unit is that it also comes with a wire basket that sits inside. This will allow you to compartmentalize your belongings so that everything stays organized and separated.
Locking Handles and Lid
If you want to take this cooler camping or hunting, then you also want to be sure that no one can get into it while you’re away. The front of the lid has a hole, allowing you to lock it with a standard padlock.
There are also two rubber locking mechanisms that keep the lid on tight. This means that it won’t accidentally pop open during transit, even if you randomly drop it.
People aren’t the only ones who might want to sneak into your cooler. Bears and other animals can smell your delicious treats, and they may try to break in. To combat this issue, the Sportsman 55 is rotomolded. This means that it can withstand a full bear attack before it will give up its contents.
Although we hope that you’ll never encounter that problem, it’s nice to know that it can take that kind of abuse.
Drainage Port w/ Chain
Cleaning and emptying a cooler is always a pain in the neck, particularly because it means that you have to tip it over to dump it out. Fortunately, the Sportsman comes with a drainage port on the side, so you can let all of the water out without having to even move it. This also allows you to keep everything inside while you do it, which means that you can add more ice without any problems.
The drain plug also comes with a metal chain on it so that you won’t ever lose it.
The primary purpose of a cooler is to keep your food and beverages cold. Thankfully, the Sportsman comes with a few different layers of protection to ensure that that’s always the case.
- First, it has rubber gaskets lining the top. These prevent cold air from escaping.
- Second, the inside is coated with a proprietary UltraTherm material, which insulates the cold
- Finally, there is a protective coating on the top that reflects UV rays. This ensures that the cooler doesn’t heat up too much, even in direct sunlight
- Ultra-durable construction
- Side handles for easy carrying
- 55-quart capacity
- Anti-skid bottom
- Locking handles keeps cold air in
- UltraTherm insulation
- UV protection prevents sun from heating inside
- Wire basket provided
- Lockable lid
- Drainage port with chain
- Rubber gaskets keep air inside
- Three color options
- Fish measuring ruler molded into cover
- Certified as “bear-resistant”
- In some cases, the ice may melt faster than anticipated
- On some occasions, the drain plug can wiggle out, causing it to leak
- What are the precise dimensions of this cooler?
- According to the manufacturer, it measures 18.25” x 17.5” x 31”. This is on the widest parts.
- How many cans can it hold?
- At this size, you can put about 80 cans in there, depending on the amount of ice you use.
- How can I lock the lid?
- There is a hole in the center. Most standard locks will fit inside. You have to provide the lock, however.
When compared to other coolers, it’s evident that the Sportsman 55 blows away the competition. You won’t be able to find anything better regarding durability, performance, or security. Regardless of your needs, you will appreciate the high quality and attention to detail that comes with this cooler.
- Best Camping Cooler – Our Top Choices Compared
- Best Wheeled Cooler – Quality Coolers with Wheels & Handles
- 5 Best Soft Sided Cooler – Keep Your Food Safe in Outdoor
- 10 Best Marine Cooler – Selected By Professionals!
- Best Fishing Coolers – Marine Ice Chest Tested & Reviewed