Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp Review – What The Fish Finder Has To Offer?
With technology so ubiquitous these days, it only makes sense that it would transfer to all kinds of industries and hobbies. For a long time, the best way to find fish was through experience and intuition. Thankfully, however, with new devices available, you don’t need a lifetime of expertise to ensure that you get your next catch.
In this case, we’re looking at the Elite 7 from Lowrance. This is a moderately high-tech model, meaning that it’s ideal for most fisherman. It doesn’t have some of the extra features that you can find on expensive units, but it’s much better than the simplistic, cheap models.
So, with that in mind, let’s see what the Elite 7 has to offer.
Seven-Inch LCD Screen
Since the goal is to find fish, you want a screen that will make it easy for you. The Elite 7 has a larger display than most, which enables you to monitor what’s happening much more clearly. Also, because of it’s width, you can utilize a split screen, which is helpful when you’re using the GPS. In this case, you can track your position on the water as you see what’s happening below.
The other great thing about this screen is that it shows you high-definition images. It’s also backlit, which helps with visibility in all lighting conditions. Overall, you will be impressed by how bright and readable this screen is.
HD CHIRP Sonar
Although seeing the fish is a big part of what the Elite 7 does, a screen is worth anything if you don’t have the technology backing it up. CHIRP Sonar is one of the best options available on the market today because it offers such clarity and definition.
Traditional sonar only uses one signal to both find your fish and plot what’s on the bottom. CHIRP, on the other hand, utilizes three different signals and frequencies so that you get a more comprehensive view. This ensures that you get the best results possible, and your fish arches are going to be much easier to read.
What we like most about the Elite 7 is that it’s ready to go out of the box. Some high-end models don’t come with a transducer, which is the essential component of any fish finder. In this case, you get a highly sensitive model that provides down imaging.
Mounting the transducer is simple, so you should be ready to go shortly after opening the box and reading the instructions.
These days, it’s not worth having a fish finder if you can’t track your progress on the water. GPS are usually standard, but that doesn’t mean that they are all equal. We like the system that comes with the Elite 7 for several reasons.
- First, it comes with a bunch of preloaded maps. Although it’s not as comprehensive a list as some other models, you can always download more from Lowrance.
- Second, you can plot your progress with waypoints and charts. Best of all, they will be saved for later use, so you can mark the spots with the most fish and return without having to do any monitoring beforehand.
- Finally, this model is compatible with navionics software from Lowrance. So, if you want the best tracking and navigation system for your boat, you will upgrade. Fortunately, you can do so through the microSD card slot.
- Durable construction
- Seven-inch HD screen
- GPS built-in
- Chartplotting and waypoints
- Save progress for later
- MicroSD compatible
- Preloaded maps for convenience
- Transom-mount transducer included
- CHIRP down view scanning
- Easy to use menu navigation
- Split screen capability
- Swivel mount provided
- Advanced signal processing for clearer images
- One-year limited warranty
- Limited number of pre-installed maps
- In rare cases, the transducer may not work correctly and need to be replaced
- Does this model come with navionics and other wayfinding apps?
- No, but you can download them online and then install them via the microSD card.
- Is this unit waterproof?
- Yes, it is. However, it could still get damaged internally if it is completely submerged.
- Does this model offer side view scanning?
- No, you will have to get a transducer that allows for that. Also, you will have to upgrade the software to ensure that they are compatible.
Overall, we really appreciate everything that the Elite 7 has to offer. It’s perfect for most anglers and will make each fishing trip much more profitable. We like that it comes with all of the parts necessary to get started, and we love the extra large and high-definition screen.
- Best Fishfinder GPS Combos under $1000
- Best Fish Finder GPS Combo Units – Comparison Included
- Best Ice Fishing Fish Finders – Comparison Included
- Best Kayak Fish Finders – Top Selections From A Boat Expert!
- Best Depth Finder Reviews – Top Rated For The Money
- Marcum LX-7 Ice Fishing Sonar System Fish Finder Review