Lowrance Hook 5 Fishfinder – Detailed Review
What this device lacks in touch screen power, it makes up for in the software and the user interface. This model comes stocked with the Lowrance GPS power that you would expect from its other models, including a built-in antenna with access to 3,000 maps of rivers and lakes in the US, including the contours on the coastline.
What separates it from the pack is that it comes with Advanced Signal Processing and a feature called Insight Genesis. ASP automatically updates your settings as you glide through the water so that you always have a clear image on your finder. Insight Genesis uses the sonar data that you gather to generate custom maps for you.
Table of Contents
This unit is not a touchscreen, but the design of it makes it really easy to use. You can literally navigate anywhere that you need to on this fish finder by using one thumb. You can easily scroll through the page selector menu until you find the screen that you need and the information that you are looking for. It even gives you the ability to customize your own page layouts so that you can have even easier access to your most pertinent fishing information.
The bright and vivid five-inch display is the perfect size for navigating all of the fishing information that you need. It provides plenty enough light so that you will have no trouble reading the screen during any time, day or night.
Precision GPS System
This Lowrance model uses the same, high-quality GPS system as the last model. The GPS system features a built-in antenna so that you don’t have to purchase your own separately. It also comes stocked with maps of 3,000 rivers and lakes in the US, which includes the inlets, nooks, and crannies along the coastline.
Updates and Upgrades
This model also gives you access to hundreds of charts and maps that are available through approved third-party companies. This updating feature gives you near unlimited access when it comes to expanding the amount of information, charts, and maps that you have available on your device.
By far, one of the coolest features that this device offers especially when you compare it to other finders in its caliber is the Insight Genesis software. This software gives your finder the ability to use its sonar to create custom maps based on your sonar logs. This software alone can provide tremendous detail in the maps that you can explore and create with this device.
The sonar technology on this model is also impressive. This particular device uses a combination of DownScan Overlay to put its DownScan Imaging information over your CHIRP Sonar so that you can have the maximum amount of clarity when you are viewing the water and any fish around and underneath your boat.
Advanced Signal Processing
Anything that your fish finder can do to make your life easier, you should capitalize on. This fish finder makes fishing even easier with one very important feature. With many finders, you have to manually adjust your settings as you move in the water. You have to do this to make sure that you are getting the clearest possible view of fish and your environment. Thankfully, this device comes with ASP, which automatically adjusts your settings as you go. You will always have the clearest possible picture of your surroundings without having to continually update your settings.
- This model also features a brilliant five-inch color display, which shows all of the information that you need from your fish finder in high resolution. The screen is backlit to so that you won’t have any problem reading your fish finder even if it is in direct sunlight or if it is pitch black outside.
- This model also features an extremely accurate GPS system with a built-in GPS antenna. The system includes a map of over 3,000 bodies of water in the US, including the contours along the coastline.
- Another splendid aspect of this fish finder is that Lowrance gives you the option of updating and upgrading your finder with tons of available charts. They have partnerships with tons of other chart software companies that you can download or add directly to your device.
- What is one of the coolest and most individualized aspects of this device is that it has Insight Genesis software? This software gives you the capability to create your own custom maps from your own sonar logs. That means that you can save the sonar data that you record from your previous fishing trips and use that mapping data when you go back to visit the same waters and waypoints.
- This unit uses DownScan Overlay to place your DownScan imaging over your CHIRP Sonar, which gives you the crispest and clearest possible views of the water that is around you.
- This model uses Advanced Signal Processing (ASP) to automatically update the settings on your fish finder as you move throughout the water. Without ASP, you would normally need to constantly tweak and update the settings on your finder in order to better see fish and the underwater terrain around you. This finder will automatically update your settings to give you the clearest possible view.
- Much like the previous Lowrance model that we looked at, this one also comes with TrackBack technology so that you can effectively playback through your sonar and GPS memory. It gives you the ability to pinpoint previous locations and mark your favorite waypoints for trips in the future.
- You only need one thumb in order to use this device. This design lets you easily navigate the page selector menu so that you can scroll through screens and instantly access any information that you need.
- You can even choose your own page layouts within its three-panel viewing screen
- The power cord is really short, so make sure that you can get it close to the power source or you will need an extension cable.
- This isn’t the highest quality or clearest screen.
Question: Does this come with a mount?
Answer: Yes, this model comes with the mount and the materials to get it mounted.
Question: Does it come with its own transducer?
Answer: Yes, it comes with a transducer.
- Lowrance Elite 5 TI Review
- Hummingbird Helix 10 Review
- Raymarine a78 Review
- Best Fishfinder GPS Combos under $1000
- Best Fish Finders Under $500 – Unbiased Reviews & Buying Guide