Spyderco Manix 2 Review – Knife Worth Depending?
For years, Spyderco knives have been top of the line when it comes to American-made utility knives. They offer some of the best in quality, construction, and functionality for a very reasonable price.
So what is it about Spyderco that separates their knives from the rest of the bunch when it comes to producing consistent, high-quality knives? It’s the care and the craftsmanship that goes into every single unit that comes out of their production facility in Colorado.
Today, we are going to take a look at one of the many high-performance Spyderco knives, the Spyderco Manix 2. This particular knife is built with a strong stainless steel blade and a high-pressure fiberglass laminate for a lightweight and heavy-duty handle. Let’s jump in and take a look at the Spyderco Manix 2 knife and some of the special features that it has to offer.
Table of Contents
Strength and Durability
The strength and durability of this knife are second to none. Sure, you are going to be paying more for this knife than you would for your typical, everyday Swiss knife, but you are also going to get much more in return. This knife is made with a strong, durable, stainless steel blade. The blade is flat and has thumb serrations (jimping) above a 14 mm round hole, on the blade. The steel on this knife will not easily deteriorate with the everyday use of the knife, and resist normal wear and tear infinitely better than cheaper replicas of this high-quality knife.
The handle of this Spyderco knife is made of G-10, which is a high-pressure fiberglass laminate. The handle of this blade is both durable and lightweight, and the texture on the handle makes it easy to grip so that you don’t have to be concerned with the knife slipping while you are using it.
The deciding factor for why you do or don’t buy a knife is the blade that it uses. The stainless steel blade on this knife is both sharp and durable. It is made of exotic, high carbon steel, which consists of flat ground CPM S30V. It has a plain, straight cutting edge which makes it the perfect daily utility knife that you can carry around anywhere that you go. The blade is 3.375 inches long so that you have plenty of length on the blade for everything from outdoor use to opening up packages, envelopes, and boxes.
Locking and Safety Features
We wouldn’t feel fulfilled in writing this review without taking note of the safety features on this knife. This knife includes a Spyderco patented, improved ball bearing lock which is considerably strong and provides smooth ambidextrous operation of your knife. The locking mechanism is really stiff and will keep your knife securely close and keep your knife from closing on you while using it.
The comfortable and grip-friendly textured handle on this knife will make you never want to put it down. As we mentioned, the handle is made out G-10 which is a high-pressure carbon fiber. The handle is textured, making the blade easy to grip which significantly reduces the chances of your knife slipping or falling out of your hand while it is in use. The handle of this blade is scalloped around the perimeter which makes it even easier to hold and use. This knife even has a full steel liner on the inside of the handle for reinforcement, and a smooth release and lock of the blade. The texturing and scalloping of the G-10 handle make it perfect for use with or without gloves. It even includes a clip that makes it really easy to fasten in your pocket.
Another aspect of this knife that we really appreciate is that it is designed for ambidextrous use. The clip on this blade is fastened with three screws in a way that makes this blade easy to use and clip for both left and right-handed users.
Things We Liked
- The first aspect of this knife that we really liked was the blade itself. It is made from exotic, CPM S30V, flat-ground stainless steel and has a plain cutting edge which provides plenty of utility in a variety of functional circumstances.
- The blade is 3.375 inches long, giving the user plenty of lengths, functional for indoor and outdoor use
- The blade has convenient thumb serrations and jumping which makes it great for clipping small objects like string, twine, or any kind of line.
- The Spyderco patented and improved ball-bearing lock keeps your blade safely locked in or out, keeping your hand and fingers out of harm’s way.
- The textured handle on this knife makes it both comfortable and easy to use. The handle is reinforced on the inside with a steel liner to improve the safety and the durability of your blade and the handle.
- The handle is made out of G-10, a high-pressure carbon fiber material and is textured and scalloped for easy gripping so that the knife won’t slide out of your hand when using it. The texturing on the handle makes this knife great or used with or without gloves.
- Another nice, functional, and considerate aspect of this knife is that it is designed for ambidextrous use. The three-screw clip on this knife is perfect for either left or right-hand users and optimally positioned on the knife for deep pocket carry.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The blade is actually a hollow ground blade and not a flat ground blade
- The locking mechanism is stiff, which can be both good and bad. It can be really difficult to lock and unlock your blade
- If you use the pocket clip pretty frequently, it can become loose pretty quickly. You may have to tighten it regularly if you are using it a lot.
FAQ -Some pre-selling Questions and Answers about the particular product
- Question: It is difficult to tell, is the blade on this knife a full flat ground or is it the hollow ground?
- Answer: The previous generation of this blade was actually full flat ground, where the most current generation of this blade is hollow ground.
- Question: How long is the blade on this knife?
- Answer: The blade on this knife is 3.375 inches or 86 mm long.
- Question: How long are the blade and the handle together?
- Answer: The length of the handle is 4.625 inches.
Overall, this is a really impressive, reliable, and durable knife by Spyderco. Every inch of this blade, including the handle, is made with high-quality materials that will keep your knife healthy for years of regular use. If you are looking for a daily utility knife that is simple in function and design, it is hard to go wrong with the Spyderco Manix 2.
- Leatherman Squirt Ps4 Review
- Best Throwing Knife – Top Selections for Expert & Beginners
- Top 10 Picks for Best Electric Fillet Knife
- Searching for the Best Santoku Knife
- Hunting for the Best Hunting Knife – Our Top Choices