Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod Review – Expected Dependable Performance?
When it comes to fishing, the two most important things to have are the rod and the spinner. While bait and hooks are also crucial, the rod is what is going to help you bring in your next catch, so you need to make sure that you buy one that is up to the challenge.
In this case, we are looking at the Ugly Stik GX2 from Shakespeare. This is a perfect example of a simple and effective spinning rod, which makes it ideal for all kinds of light fishing. Unless you are a pro angler and want precision control over your cast, you’ll get a lot of mileage out of this rod.
We like this particular unit because it works for all fishermen, regardless of practice or experience. This means that you can go from a newbie to a pro without ever having to change rods in between.
Table of Contents
Medium Power and Action
When comparing different models, you’ll notice that they are rated by both action and power. Power is measured from ultra light to heavy, and it refers to how much kinetic energy is used when reeling in your catch. Smaller fish can work well with lighter power ratings, but you need something extra stiff for more massive hauls.
Action refers to the level of bend in the rod. Fast action models only curve at the top, while slow action will bend almost all the way down. Again, you want a stiffer rod for larger fish and a more bendable version for smaller varieties.
In this case, the Ugly Stik is right down the middle, making it ideal for most kinds of fish you would encounter. As long as you’re not trying to hook a massive bass or salmon, you should be able to reel in your next catch without too much struggle.
Durable Two Piece Design
Fitting in with it’s “average” capabilities, the Ugly Stik is rated for lines that are between 6-15 pounds. A lot of fish species fall into this range, which is why it’s such a versatile and reliable rod to use.
While we don’t advocate this, some fishermen have said that they use a 20-pound line on this rod without any problems. You may be able to get away with it yourself, but we don’t recommend making it a habit.
Part of the reason that this rod is so strong is that it utilizes robust and flexible materials, and it comes with stainless steel guides. Technically, this is a two-piece model, but it feels like a single unit.
Comfort Grip EVA Handle
Finally, when trying to pull in your next catch, you want to make sure that you can maintain a solid grip on the pole. If it’s too smooth, then you risk losing your fish as the rod slips out of your hands. If it’s too rough, then your fingers will get blistered after a few catches.
With EVA foam surrounding the pole, you get comfort and improved grip, which is why this is one of the most reliable rods on the market.
- Durable construction
- Medium power performance
- Tested for up to 15 pounds
- Soft and comfortable handle
- Various size options
- Great for all skill levels
- Optimized balance
- Lightweight design
- Responsive, clear tip design
- Works with all kinds of line
- Stainless steel guides
- Stylish and functional
- Works for both left and right hands
- In rare cases, the seam where the two pieces fit may come apart under stress
- The tip is much more flexible than the rest of the rod
- Is this a telescopic fishing pole?
- No, it’s technically two pieces, but you don’t have to break it down when you are not using it.
- Can I use a braided line with this rod?
- Yes, it is designed to work with almost any kind of line, including braided.
- What size reel should I get for the Ugly Stik?
- We would highly recommend a 6-10 pound reel so that you don’t overpower the rod itself.
- Will salt water cause the rod to rust over time?
- If you are worried about that, then we would recommend that you rinse it after using it in saltwater. However, that shouldn’t be an issue.
Overall, we really love the Ugly Stik because it can be used so effectively by so many different kinds of fishermen. Whether you’re an old pro or just starting out, this rod will continue to hold up and provide excellent capabilities out on the water. Simply put, you can’t match the versatility and resolve that you get with this rod.
- 8 Best Catfish Rods – With Buying Guide & Comparisons
- G Loomis E6x Inshore Casting Rods Review – Proper Balance & Needed Strength
- Best Spincasting Rods – Spinning Rods Compared & Reviewed
- Best Baitcasting Rods – Top Models After Thorough Tackle Test
- Abu Garcia Black Max Fishing Rod and Reel Combo Review