Yeti Roadie 20 Cooler Review – Should You Depend?
When it comes to bringing cold drinks or food on the road, nothing compares to having a reliable and versatile cooler by your side. Whether you’re bringing beverages to the party or you are planning an outdoor excursion, the right cooler can make all the difference.
Unfortunately, most coolers are not built to handle the kind of abuse that comes with the territory. Too often, they have bounced around and wind up losing a lot of their cooling power, which kind of defeats the purpose.
The Yeti Roadie 20, on the other hand, is designed to withstand even the harshest environments without caving or breaking down. No matter where you want to go, and no matter what you want to bring, the Yeti Roadie is going to provide you with the best cooler experience possible. Let’s see what makes it so special.
Table of Contents
Large Capacity Interior
In this case, we’re looking at the 20-quart model, but the fact is that the Yeti Roadie comes in a variety of sizes, including 75 and 105 quarts. So, if you’re planning a massive shindig, be sure to get the right model to fit everything you need.
The 20-quart unit, though, is perfect for parties and day trips where you don’t need to pack too heavy. According to Yeti, the ideal mixture of ice and products is about two to one, but you can adjust that as necessary to fit more stuff inside. At the company’s ratio, you can put exactly 14 cans in this cooler.
One thing that is always a major drag with other coolers is that by the time you arrive at your destination the ice has mostly melted. This means that you wind up with a sloshy, wet mess at the bottom, which can have a less than desirable effect.
Yeti knows this, and they made sure to do whatever they could to correct this issue. First, the top is sealed with a rubber gasket, meaning that air doesn’t leak in or out. This helps retain a lot of the coldness that you want to be trapped inside.
Second, it uses Permafrost insulation technology, which works similarly to a Thermos at keeping your cold foods in pristine condition. Simply put, you can store perishables inside all day long and there shouldn’t be any problems.
A lot of people like to take their coolers out camping, or on some other outdoor adventure. As we mentioned, however, most models are not built to withstand the bumps and drops that come with such an experience.
According to Yeti, the Roadie can withstand a bear attack. The shell is rotomolded to ensure strength and durability in almost any conditions. So feel free to bring it along with you wherever you go, secure in the knowledge that nothing is going to damage your cooler. That being said, we’re not advocating that you try to destroy it, either.
Heavy Duty Latch System
Speaking of tumbling, what happens if you accidentally drop any other cooler? It opens immediately, letting all of your food and drinks (and ice) spill out all over the place. The vast majority of coolers are not designed to lock into place, which means that it doesn’t take much to bump it open by accident.
Once again, Yeti has built the roadie to handle all of the life’s ups and downs. The latch system is comprised of two thick rubber handles that lock into molded grips on the side. Once it’s latched, it will take a lot to rip it open. Remember, it can handle a bear attack. Thankfully, though, opening the cooler is not a challenge, as long as you do it the right way.
Another cool thing is that the cooler also comes with divots on the side for straps. This way, you can tie it down to your truck or cargo rack and it won’t slip out of place on the trip. As you can see, Yeti thought of everything for this cooler.
Three Color Options
Finally, while this feature is not necessarily that big of a deal for some people, it is a nice bonus to have on top of everything else. You can buy the Yeti Roadie in three distinct colors, based on your style or preference. There is white, blue, and tan and each one is molded with the color so that it won’t scrape or peel over time.
- Extra durable construction
- Large capacity
- Holds up to 14 cans plus ice
- Can carry up to 20 pounds of ice solo
- Bear resistant fat wall design
- Permafrost insulation keeps ice frozen
- Thick carrying handle with soft grip
- Sturdy plastic locking mechanisms
- Three colors available
- Bottom drain plug for convenience
- Virtually indestructible material
- Rubber liner to keep it airtight
- Leakproof drainage system
- Non-slip feet
- Molded tie-down slots for transportation
- Made in the USA
- More expensive than other cooler models
- Insulation is not necessarily better than other coolers
- What are the exact dimensions of this cooler?
- Outside, this model is 14 ⅜ inches by 19 inches by 13 ¾ inches. Inside, it measures 10 inches by 13 inches by 8 ⅜ inches. It narrows towards the bottom, so keep that in mind. These measurements are from the widest points.
- How much does this cooler weigh by itself?
- It’s about 15 pounds with nothing inside.
- Is the maximum can limit 14?
- No, you can fit more than that inside. However, that is the recommended maximum based on a ratio of two to one (ice to beverages). If you don’t put any ice inside, then you can fit a few more cans.
When compared to other coolers, it’s evident that the Yeti Roadie is designed to be the most hardcore of them all. With the construction that won’t break down anytime soon, an insulation system that ensures that your products stay at the right temperature, and a slew of bonus details, this is the one cooler to rule them all. As long as you get the right size for your needs, you probably won’t ever need another one again.
- Best Wheeled Cooler – Quality Coolers with Wheels & Handles
- Have a Cold One: The Best Electric Coolers
- Igloo Sportsman 55 Cooler Review – Better Than Yeti?
- Best Fishing Coolers – Marine Ice Chest Tested & Reviewed